Notices

Insomnia

Old 10-12-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia

I'm pretty stressed at the moment guys, it's currently 3am and while, I don't have to be at work until two in the afternoon tomorrow, the following day I have to be up at 6am.

So my problem is, if I allow myself to lie in tomorrow, I will have no chance of getting up the following day.

And yes my av voice has chirped up saying "hey, about 8 cans will sort that right out!". No thanks mate, I could equally get some kip by knocking myself out with a hammer. Neither are very good ideas.

My insomnia in general is a nightmare to be honest, and while I'm finally working my way through the several box sets I bought many moons ago, it's not worth the damage it's causing my quality of life.

It seems to be the one stopping point my recovery hasn't improved upon one bit since I quit. I just can't seem to flip the switch.

Tom.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hey ThomasTheTank. I'm right there with you. I was making my insomnia a deal breaker. I was making a big mistake. Your body will only let you go so long without sleep. I suggest "roll with it." Following nights with little or no sleep, take care of business during the day the best you can. If laying in bed sleepless drives you nuts, get up and read. The bigger of a deal you make this, the bigger of a deal it will become. Talk with your Dr., but come to peace with it. It is what it is and it won't last forever.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know I will be dealing with insomnia tonight as well. I try to read/watch TV to pass the time.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

My new experimental remedy is to get out of bed, make chamomile tea, and read by a 25 watt light. So far it seems to be significantly reducing my middle of the night sleeplessness.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I leave for work at 7am and have been up since 1am. (It's now 4) Gonna be a long day but I'd rather be tired than having to explain to my boss why I'm late for work again. I'm sure things will settle down and get back to normal.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Insomnia sucks! Try not to worry, that just makes it worse. Good thing is that if you don't get much sleep at least it should be easier the next night.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you tried 5 HTP or Tryptophan yet? Theanine Serene as well. It's GABA, theanine, taurine, glycine and something else... can't remember. That combo works like a charm.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have some pretty serious insomnia here. I always have. Drinking helped me to pass out but I was battling daily, horrific hangovers every day so I was ready to accept the insomnia.

I had a big realization in the first few days of sobriety:

I feel soooooooo much better with little sleep than I ever did with the the daily hangover, headache, jitters, sweating. Alcohol does not give us sleep.

I am thinking about asking a doctor about my sleep after about six months of sobriety. I want to give my nervous system some time to recover.

My trouble is getting to sleep, not staying asleep. I stay up way too late and have trouble getting to sleep but then sleep like the dead. What is your typical sleep pattern?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some good tips here:
Insomnia - Self-help - NHS Choices

I recommend you see your Dr before trying any supplements tho - whats worked for others may not work, or even be suitable, for you.

D
Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Insomnia is a nightmare! It drains you physically mentally and emotionally. I can get to sleep fine but can't stay asleep. I would definitely have a chat to your gp. There are a few things you can do to help though - make sure you get up at the same time every morning and I know it sounds silly but as soon as it's light try to get outside even for just a couple of minutes. This is supposed to help with natural production of melatonin. It doesn't count at the moment but when it's light nights shut the curtains and put artificial lights on a couple of hours before bed. Some foods can help - bananas, raspberries, turkey, lettuce. Not just before bed though, at normal mealtime in the evening. Warm milky drinks at bedtime. No tv, computer, mobile for at least an hour before bed.

My son has major sleep issues and this is some of the advice we were given. I suffer from insomnia and find that hypno cds (not necessarily for sleep but anything!) help me to go to sleep. But don't keep me asleep. If things are going round in your head when you wake up it can help to have paper and pen next to the bed and write things down.

Hope that it improves soon!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
misanthrope

Hi Tom, that's a bummer. I take Melatonin occasionally at night to help me sleep, it doesn't seem to give a person the morning grogginess either. In Canada it is available without a prescription, I'm not sure of your location but might be worth a try.

Of course I am not giving medical advice, and like Dee74 was saying check with the doc and good luck.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Melatonin is available without prescription at drug stores in the US, too. I personally like the stuff. It helps me sleep without any side effects that I can notice.