Notices

Want wine on day 4 :(

Old 10-12-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want wine on day 4 :(

Haven't got any but having a bad day with my son who was up at 3.15 today. First proper craving I've got where I've almost gone to the shop. Thinking about it constantly that it will help me get through the rest of the day. Even though I know it won't really.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All I have is Now

I'm day 4 too. Its tough at times but bottle of wine leads to a second and I keep reminding myself how much better my life will become with out alcohol and with out that evil obsession to drink which i know in time will go if i don't drink and keep working for my sobriety. Stay strong!!! Drinking is insanity and death.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hello MavisTheFairy13. Be strong. Physical cravings only last minutes. The regret of drinking, especially unnecessarily, lasts much longer. You're absolutely right. Drinking won't help get you through the rest of the day. Sobriety will. Dig deep and keep talking. SR is listening.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I know you are right. I've still got this bloody av telling me that ill feel better after a glass though. That I will feel relaxed and happy. I'm on the verge of going to buy some
Old 10-12-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try breaking time down into small increments. For example, I'll do this for 15 minutes, then I'll have a cup of hot tea....then start laundry...then take a walk etc.....it helped me pass the time

Just saw your recent post....scratch going to get groceries, or anywhere in the car! Take a walk, do yard work etc....I'm afraid if you get in the car, you'll end up at the wrong destination.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please Mavis, don't go buy some.

The "relief"? Lasts about an hour or so. You won't be dealing with your son sober, and he deserves that kind of mother.

The shame and self-loathing and anxiety that follows drinking lasts a really long time.

It's normal to have a screaming AV at four days - and ten days - and fifteen days. You just have to accept that it was part of you, and move on. It's just a thought. Thoughts have no power. Ride it out.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
All I have is Now

Disconnect from the Av, 'it' wants a drink. 'it' can't cope. 'it' wants to go to the shop. You don't. Otherwise there would be no battle and no conflict and you wouldn't be posting! I know I've done it and woken up when the beast has let me go again crying and the same voice that said 'drink' says ' you stupid son of a **** Why did you do that again!!'
Old 10-12-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you posted Mavis - Tell the AV you have more important things to do today...say it out loud!!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

sobriety is worth waiting on...don't drink now, it's not worth it

you can make it to day 5!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get through this and move onto Day 5.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4! Stay strong. Get through these tough early days and there will come a time when you won't even think about wine anymore. I no longer do. Keep up the great work!
Old 10-12-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support. I didn't go to the shop. Just cooked my son's tea, fed him and had a cuppa. Have eaten a chocolate bar and a packet of crisps though lol
Old 10-12-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Please Mavis, don't go buy some.

[B]The "relief"? Lasts about an hour or so.[/B] You won't be dealing with your son sober, and he deserves that kind of mother.

The shame and self-loathing and anxiety that follows drinking lasts a really long time.
It's normal to have a screaming AV at four days - and ten days - and fifteen days. You just have to accept that it was part of you, and move on. It's just a thought. Thoughts have no power. Ride it out.
These comments really resonate with me and are partially what finally got me sober. I started realizing that every time I went out and got just one more bottle, it would feel good for about an hour or so...wear off and then what???
Old 10-12-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MavisTheFairy13 View Post
Thanks everyone for your support. I didn't go to the shop. Just cooked my son's tea, fed him and had a cuppa. Have eaten a chocolate bar and a packet of crisps though lol
I was just going to suggest you eat chocolate! It has worked for me. I am on Day 58. Every time my AV comes calling I eat, eat, eat and drink seltzer water. AND, I have lost almost 11 pounds of bloat and fat since starting.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mavis in the early days junk food was a savoir of mine
Old 10-12-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Mavis , I know how you feel, the devil on my shoulder is screaming at me that I should drink too, day three. All kinds of excuses it has. But as Pups said, drinking is insanity and death.

Don't know what works for you but I just keep telling it "I am NOT drinking tonight !!"

Don't know if this would work for you but I feel ok because
I have a good book lined up for later and some puzzles to do that I enjoy ,so I have something to look forward to that creates a different routine when that time of night comes when I usually drink.

Stay strong hunny xx
Old 10-12-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mavis, it's the addiction that wants the wine, not you, right?

It's an automatic process that doesn't know any better and likes to call itself "you".

It's a ghost lodger in your head that is taking its time moving out, but it isn't you.

You know what is better for your life (otherwise you wouldn't have quit), but that addiction does not.

Just notice it and ignore it. Distract yourself with other things.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it through Mavis

D
Old 10-12-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats unmaking it through day 4 and onward to day 5 !
Old 10-12-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

These are great posts! Thinking of that persistent voice as the AV, NOT you is really really helpful. And it's so true, you get the wine, you drink it down, it feels "good" for about an hour, if that. And then what? If you're like me, you'll just want more, and feel terrible about it later. It's just not worth it. Drink some water, LOTS of water, and focus on something else. Don't even argue with the AV, just ignore it and do something else. This approach has gotten me to day 9, and it's getting easier. I still think about drinking, way too much, but you can (sort of) choose what you think about.

Four days is GREAT, you've passed a big hump, just keep plowing through!!