Notices

Day 8 and I passed a test

Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 and I passed a test

Today was day 8 for me. My drinking buddy from North Carolina was in town tonight. She had a drink, but I had a water and a diet pepsi. On the way back, I told her I was cutting back/watching what I am drinking. She said we really proud of me. This was the first time she had seen me not drink when we were out together. I had told her in advance I wouldn't be drinking tonight, because I didn't want to be drinking/driving (which was true), but am glad I came clean with her at the end of the night to let her know what was going on. It's always good to have one more friend in your corner!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

great news, keep it up
Old 09-29-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

Yay! It's good to hear good news!
Old 09-30-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is great. Good for you for keeping strong and speaking to your friend. It feels good to have personal support.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

That's so great Kirsten. We worry a lot about sharing but people seem to be awfully accepting and supportive. I think I'll share more too!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yeah, it's interesting to find how how little people actually care if you drink or not.

I can think of one person in my life right now that I need to be careful around. If I go out with her, I know she will be like "why aren't you drinking?" and "I can't drink if you don't."

But MOST people are very suppportive and want to help me/you be healthy. It's just a few out there. I'm seeing my therapist next week, so hope to get some more ideas/suggestions as I abstain/quit/day by day.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kirstensmith View Post
yeah, it's interesting to find how how little people actually care if you drink or not.

I can think of one person in my life right now that I need to be careful around. If I go out with her, I know she will be like "why aren't you drinking?" and "I can't drink if you don't."

But MOST people are very suppportive and want to help me/you be healthy. It's just a few out there. I'm seeing my therapist next week, so hope to get some more ideas/suggestions as I abstain/quit/day by day.
So true! I thought it was going to be the major, BFD that I wasn't going to drink, but at my first post-sobriety get together, no one even batted an eyelash at it. I made it this huge thing in my head for nothing.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have the support of your friend. We're all on your side, too.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go Kirstensmith!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

On the way back, I told her I was cutting back/watching what I am drinking.
Why not tell her you are quitting and seeking sobriety? Or is that not your goal?

What's your plan for the "friend" who, you said, will pressure you into drinking? Perhaps you can come clean with her before you are sitting in a bar with drink order on the way.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Why not tell her you are quitting and seeking sobriety? Or is that not your goal?

What's your plan for the "friend" who, you said, will pressure you into drinking? Perhaps you can come clean with her before you are sitting in a bar with drink order on the way.
Right now, I am taking it one day at a time. I am definiitely cutting back/abstaining/quitting, but I have learned my lesson to never say never. For right now, I am just taking it one day at a time.

I have no problem telling my other friend who will be pushy that I am not drinking when we go out, and have done this in the past. I'm just prepared for the push back. We don't go out very often, so I won't have to address this for a while yet.

I appreciate the questions/support though. I know how important it is to have a plan!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I appreciate the questions/support though. I know how important it is to have a plan!
Not just a plan, but a clear goal. It's difficult enough not to relapse when the goal is total sobriety. You are opening the back door to your addiction if you are waivering between cutting back and quitting. If cutting back, or moderation, is an option, it becomes very easy, in my experience, to rationalize a drink. Or many.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Not just a plan, but a clear goal. It's difficult enough not to relapse when the goal is total sobriety. You are opening the back door to your addiction if you are waivering between cutting back and quitting. If cutting back, or moderation, is an option, it becomes very easy, in my experience, to rationalize a drink. Or many.
I definitely get where you are coming from. At this point, I am abstaining from alcohol and not drinking as I have been abusing alcohol over the past year. I wouldn't say that I am addicted, but definitely fall into the problem drinking category. I'm abstaining and hoping to get back on track so I can either keep on abstaining or return to a moderate drinking lifestyle.

So for me, right now, I'm just figuring it out one day at a time. I would like to stay away from wine for the rest of the year, and take it from there. I may very well just keep abstaining, but I've said I'd never do X or Y before (not related to drinking) and ended up doing X or Y. So I never say never.

I know most people here are trying to quit drinking for good and/or have quit for good. I definitely want to be supportive of that, and I can leave the forums if I need to. I just have found the support here so wonderful, and am learning so much from other people's posts.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you! One day at a time hun, that's my goal as well. You can ddecide on your own future, whether it be moderated drinking or completely abstaining, it is your choice. For now though, well done on day 8!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marina1981 View Post
Good for you! One day at a time hun, that's my goal as well. You can ddecide on your own future, whether it be moderated drinking or completely abstaining, it is your choice. For now though, well done on day 8!
Thanks for your kind words!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fantastic stuff!!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go! I have yet to test those waters just yet... glad you made it.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

On the one hand I wondered if you were "cutting back" or quitting, too, but on the other hand I think it unwise to tell everyone and his brother that you're quitting drinking, because sometimes it doesn't stick for awhile and it undermines credibility, so I think you're in a good spot on this. And good job on not drinking today. (or yesterday - but it was today, then)