Notices

Just out of no-where and "it's always something"

Old 09-30-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Just out of no-where and "it's always something"

Day 225 clean here.

Sobriety is pretty much auto-pilot at this point, the occasional drinking thoughts have subsided even further and my mind is focused on other things these days. I'm pretty sure any PAWS-like symptoms have mostly subsided as well, i feel alert and clear-minded on most days. I am a guy in his mid-20's, so believe me there is always this or that "opportunity" to drink with the youth culture. But not all is well.......

I continue to have the odd bad night or two on the sleep front, not often....... but about once a week or so - sometimes twice. More of a nuisance than anything else, albeit a minor one.

But that's not what i wanted to post about.

Out of no-where the last week and a half or so my right knee has started acting up again. I had a minor injury back in early January of this year where i took a wrong/awkward step coming in my doorway and my right kneecap popped out temporarily. I felt a sudden jolt of extreme pain, collapsed to the ground, composed myself and manually popped it back in. It got swollen almost immediately and stayed swollen for a good week. I was barely able to walk for two weeks or so - just very slowly, thankfully i was not working at the time otherwise i would have been really screwed.

Anyways, after a month or so it was more or less back to semi-working order and my walking pace returned. I didn't have insurance at the time and an ER visit would have been devastating financially, in case you are curious (i'm in the US).

Fast forward 8 months to about 9 days ago and i "almost" had a repeat incident, i was in the bathroom and when i stepped out of the shower i very briefly felt the right knee-cap beginning to change it's position - and not in the "correct" direction. Immediately braced myself and shifted my weight back to my "good" knee, then resumed what i was doing. Ever since that incident 9 days ago my knees have been feeling "uneasy" and i have a sort of nervousness and apprehension, fearing a repeat of the 2 weeks i was off my feet and all swollen.

I did some minor research on Google and my symptoms seem to match "patellar dislocation" and runner's knee. I still don't have insurance, so i'm considering my options............ everything medical or health-related is just so insanely expensive in the USA.

I guess this is just one of the down-sides of being a taller person (6' 4"), it's just one knee/leg problem after another, it never ends it seems. I've noticed short and average people do not have many leg/knee issues. I'm a bit overweight from the years and years of booze carbs and calories among other things, but as we all know - it takes time to lose weight, i need relief now.

Any ideas on what would be a fairly affordable way to deal with this? just speaking financially here, not asking for medical advice.

i got a few quotes from insurance companies a couple months ago, just out of curiosity - but the cheapest plan they had came with a massive $6,500 deductible......... and it only covered "emergency" stuff like heart attacks and bad car accidents, no preventative stuff. Didn't seem worth it to me, i thought to myself i'll just pocket the cash for a rainy day instead.

Something else i've considered is simply buying some good heavy-duty crutches ($70) to have on hand for the peace of mind while i gradually lose the weight and hopefully it gets better as the pounds come off. Probably while seeing a good physical therapist on the side, i hear they bill around $120/session which is well within affordable range and not bad at all.

Of course good ole' surgery is probably the best and most effective way to correct these knee issues permanently, but there is the money factor. I researched a little and it seems knee surgery averages $40,000 - $70,000 in america. Remember, nothing is free in America and everything comes directly out of your pocket in most cases.

I don't know, just felt like venting and maybe bouncing some ideas off you guys............ i really just wish my body would work as intended. I don't like "surprises", especially ones involving such an extremely important part as the legs.

Cold? flu? runny nose? back pain? insomnia? indigestion? no problem.

Bad knees or legs? BIG problem.

anyways, just felt like ranting, good night and good luck to any new-comers
Old 09-30-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like your plan about putting less weight on your knee with crutches as you lose weight, WHILE doing physical therapy.

A couple of thoughts (and no, no medical advice here...I've never had a problem with my knees, so have no personal experience. I'm very short, maybe that's why...):

I did have a lot of difficulty with my rotator cuff after a fall and had to have shoulder surgery. Working with a physical therapist then I learned - they can do this really cool thing with the colored athletic injury tape, ask them if they know how. It works for days, stabilizing things. And, they teach you movements and exercises that you can definitely do on your own. If you're trying to save $, you can meet with a PT once or twice, do the exercises religiously on your own for a few weeks, and then meet with them again for the next stage.

I have had a few friends with bum knees, and the weight loss issue always came up with their doctor. My impression is that there is a direct correlation, and certainly it will be cheaper, less invasive, and more personally satisfying than surgery. You might have some limitations on exercise - common sense and ask your PT also. Strengthening your leg muscles, once you're past the swelling hurty period that you're in now, will likely support your knee.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Meeting w/ a PT or a chiropractor are both cost-effective for knee issues.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf
The 13130 clinics in this database offer medical services (some may also offer dental services) and are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.

For additional information and appointments contact the clinic directly.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grubby,

I don't go to the doctor anymore, even when I had great insurance because I think often things can be taken care of without the expense. I self insure up to my 12000 deductible and this has taught me a few things. No medical advice for you. But what I would do is do to the Pharmacy and buy a good quality knee brace which will support your knee so it does not pop out. Mueller makes them and so do a lot of other companies. It should cost less than 50.

Been lots of studies on knee surgeries and often, about 70% of the time they are not needed and they do not improve function. You can also google some physical therapy to strengthen the knees and start out slow and make is stronger. I avoided two surgeries on rotator cuffs, each shoulder, by following P.T. Slowly and light and then eventually they both got good again.

I simply don't see the cost effectiveness of spending $40000 on something you can fix for $45. I am in the same boat, medical care is outrageous except for the very rich and very poor(insurance and Medicaid). It is the working class here who suffer from it. That is another discussion and not for here, but it burns me raw.

Good luck, and I would give a lot to be 6'4 and take a bad knee if necessary, then I would come closer to a correct height/weight number on the charts.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

D,

It does not work that way in the states. If you work and do not have insurance you are on your own. you cant even negotiate the price of a surgery as most of the time they don't know how much it will cost! You can ask for a discount to pay cash which I had to do many years ago for a surgery which was unavoidable, and they gave 10% off. $14000 surgery, save $1400 and then they billed me over $16000. It was a 2 hour surgery, and I stopped going back for a "checkup" after I saw I was getting charged $400 a visit, save $40 of course so it was $360 to get a 30 second checkup to tell me everything looks ok, come back in two weeks so we can check you again.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand your position - but with all due respect herra, several people have found help through that link, so I'll keep posting it

I'm no stranger to chronic pain...somethings I can fix myself - and some things I can't.
I think seeing a Dr, even if you don't end up taking their advice, is a good idea.

D
Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dee,

With all due respect back to you, I checked the site for my area and hit the website. Typically what they offer is a payment plan for the services which are so expensive it would take a lifetime to pay for them. I guess this is something but you take a 40,000 knee surgery and they will allow you to make payments of $300 a month. So with 5% interest which is half of what they charge you are in for a payback period in excess of 25 years. Just saying it is a concern here.

FYI to go into see a doctor for a knee problem here without insurance will run you about 300 for the visit, then 1200 for the MRI and they will not cut you without one, and will not give you an opinion without one. So $1500 for a visit for them to tell you, you need surgery(which you cant afford) or you don't need surgery, so go to the PT at $180 a pop twice a week for 6 weeks.

Or you can buy a brace, try it, and if it does not work, you are out $40.

IRT drugs, it is different here. You can access discounted drugs more easily, best way is to get a script from the doc and then fill it from a Canadian Pharmacy for a 90 day fill. Not advice on medicine, advice on cheap procurement. Or you can call the manufacturer of the drug and they often have a plan that is acceptable.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Grubby. What state are you in? I know insurance can be very high but depending on your income and ability -or not - to work + what state you live in there truly are options. Things are changing in healthcare availability and I'll bet you can find some plans with lower deductibles. I'm in Washington state and our options here at least seem pretty good to me. And while the internet has tons of info it's not always wise to self diagnose! I've needlessly scared the hell out of myself doing that.

Big congrats on your 225 days clean
Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I'm sorry for your trouble, grubby. As a Canadian who has the privilege of (mostly) free health care, I wish one day the US might adopt a similar plan that puts people first.
Not trying to be political here, it's just something that seems like such common sense - to invest in a healthy populace.
I do hope things work out for you. I strained my mcl playing hockey once and physio, a brace and 8 weeks of rehab did the trick. That was all based on an ER doctors assessment and referral of course.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You might google "physical therapy" and whatever symptom you think you have. I suspect there are exercises (bodyweight squats while holding onto a doorway, maybe?) that a PT would recommend to strengthen the muscles stabilizing the knee, but really don't know.

Good luck