Notices

Withdrawal Day 16??

Old 09-28-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal Day 16??

Hi. I am deeply committed to staying sober, and luckily I haven't had more than fleeting thoughts of drinking this time around. I'm working hard to change my habits: exercising, meditating as best I can, eating healthy. I can do these things when I'm physically OK.

But I've had horrible withdrawals. Body pain, headaches that made me immobile, inability to think, etc. (plus one migraine) Day 3 was good, then I had a few good days this past week, but this weekend the blasted headaches returned, and I couldn't do the work I was supposed to finish (all mental work). Plus my body hurts and I'm exhausted.

I've had migraines in the past, but I thought if I stopped drinking, headaches and migraines would stop. Instead, I've had more headaches than when I was drinking.

Is this still withdrawal? Why does it come and go? Shouldn't it be gone by 16 days? I've been sober many times in the past and never had these symptoms. As I've posted before, I also never drank as much as I did in the last year.

Any advice? I got my migraine medication renewed for the next one and am taking ibuprofen, stretching, using massage chair. Nothing seems to help.

I'm grateful to be sober and that this is not a hangover. But to be honest, it is almost as bad as one.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

UGH. That sucks! Day 11 here: I only had one headache, but I never got headaches when I was drinking either. I am completely exhausted, though, irritable, and I can't concentrate at all. I definitely feel worse than when I was drinking moderately for the week prior to stopping.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup those headaches suck and mine came and went depending on day and time... what I found helped was pedialyte. You are most likely dehydrated. Go get a few bottles and try drinking one a day for a few days. You may not think you are dehydrated but it is hard to drink just water. Oh and stop staring at a computer screen or phone that made mine worse.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

my gf suffers migraines she swears by migraine cool n soothe

gel srips made of water that eradicates vicious migraines

hope this helps
Old 09-28-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My second week was worse than my first. Days 8, 9, 10 and 11 were horrifying- I could not think, I was exhausted and very emotional. My body hurt, my head ached (my head NEVER aches!) I came on SR and posted that I was not feeling well and was assured it was pretty normal- and that I could not undo over 10 years of drinking in 10 days. It takes the body time to recover, and it does not happen all at once. In fact, I had another bad bout of poor concentration and fatigue about 25 days in. I've been to my MD, everything is just fine. It just takes some time for your body to adjust and heal, but it will. Stay strong, eat well, drink plenty of water and get the rest your body wants. It really does get better.

Good for you BOTH on your sober time, josharon and safeandsound.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Withdrawals differ for everyone, and they will differ each time we get Sober, the body can't wipe away years of drinking in a matter of weeks, it's gonna take time!!

If things get rough or your concerned with anything, be sure to check in with a Dr!!

Be safe!!