Notices

Do you ever feel totally screud?

Old 09-28-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you ever feel totally screud?

Hi. I have never posted a new thread, but there's a first time for everything.

I feel an unnerving sense that I'm stuck and there's no way out. I haven't been functioning as well without alcohol these last months.

My head isn't in the game, you know? Everything seems to take more time and energy and concentration and I'm still not getting everything done that needs to be done.

I had a routine before I stopped drinking. It stunk in obvious ways, but in other ways it worked because at least I could function.

I will stay sober today, but I don't like feeling this way, like I'll never move ahead, get a life, feel better about myself, or grow up!.

I'm counting all the 'I's in this post and it's making me laugh! Self-centered? Just a bit.

Maybe writing about it will clear it. Feelings aren't facts so this too shall pass (thank God). But as this year drags on I realize, early sobriety is not for wimps.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can completely relate to your post. With the exception of a few days last month, it was easier for me to function when I was drinking...which seems so counterintuitive! There are some positives, though: I wake up without regret (because I know I need to stop and stay stopped), I don't have to worry about stocking up on wine constantly, and I don't have to hide my drinking from my husband anymore. Me, I, me, I... Hang in there. We can do this together.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I felt rather strange in the early months Carpathia. I had relied on it for so long - it was my go-to fix for boredom, anxiety, etc. I was completely dependent on it though. I knew I needed to learn to live in a healthier way - it was slowly destroying me.

Have you spoken to your doctor about your feelings? There might be a physical reason for this. We've beaten ourselves up badly - it takes time to heal and rejoin the human race.

Glad you wanted to talk it over. We're with you.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Think of it as a learning curve, learning to live life without alcohol is going to take time, we're not going to be good to go straight out of the blocks, so go easy on yourself, don't beat yourself up for not knowing how exactly to do it on the first attempt!!

Sobriety is a longterm project, compared to the flicking of the switch, some days are gonna feel like a lost cause, and then other days there will be progress, it's gonna take small steps, but hang in there!!

You can do this!!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice post ur doing well your on here posting your doing good try and do anything to counter-act the av

read post etc it gets easier
Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

In AA I was an alcoholic be I discovered we got sober
Old 09-28-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the early weeks of recovery are a time when there is a lot to learn and a lot of adjustments to make. It might be a good idea to talk to your dr. Have you made other changes in your life along with stopping drinking? In other words, are you doing things you enjoy?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Carpathia,
maybe you'll find something useful here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3836936
Old 09-28-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I haven't seen my doctor. It makes sense to go and get checked out. That's the rational thing to do. I admit I feel awkward telling him I'm alcoholic. He's going to need to know so I might as well get over my discomfort at having an honest talk with him.

I regularly talk to my therapist. Tonight I read a blog about PAWS, post-acute withdrawal syndrome. I recall my therapist telling me about the symptoms. My issues could be paws related.

Fini, I'll check out the link you posted. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Totally! I am still early on, 7 days going on 8, but early on I felt the overwhelming doom and gloom come over me like a tidal wave. One second i was ok and the next was horrible. I didn't know how I would manage my new life. I didn't know how I would accomplish my new goals. I didn't know what to do or how to do it or how to make anything better. Luckily the past few days that has subsided. Maybe that is the weekend talking but I have no worries going into tomorrow. I have a lot to look forward to living a new SOBER life and I count those blessings daily. I actually get excited when I think about it because I know that life will be better for me not stumbling through life I a daze of booze. As of right now I see no reason to get drunk and I want it to stay that way.

Its all part of the withdrawal but it'll get better. If you still have that crappie feeling go talk to your doc and ask for something to help you manage. I take wellbutrin and I feel it helps my overall outlook in life. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Carpathia: To answer your question outright. HELL YEAH

As for you being self-centered, you have that right. It's your life

(I feel a bit pissed-off this evening, don't know why....just am....sorry)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
misanthrope

It's really easy to be drunk all the time in the sense that we don't have to deal with reality lol, and reality is no fun.