Notices

Prescribed Antabuse and new resolve

Old 08-28-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prescribed Antabuse and new resolve

First let me say that I know many people have very negative views of Antabuse and I understand that. However, my doctor of 3 1/2 years knows my addiction better than anyone and he was very quick to prescibe it when I asked. He said he knew it was "old school" but that he's known people on it 20 years and they do it as an "insurance policy" because they are highly impulsive people.

I will be taking it in front of my husband every night. I know you absolutely can't drink on it because it can kill you. My doctor's feeling is that if I take it in front of someone then I can't just stop taking it for two weeks and decide to drink.

I actually feel relieved because for the first time in a year, I know I can't drink. I also know though that if I don't do something for my recovery I will just be white knuckling it. So I plan to come here for now.

I really don't know why I don't have the inner strength and motivation that most of you have. I have known people without spouses or children who managed to just stay sober on their own. They loved themselves enough to do it for themselves. I don't know why I don't care enough about myself that I have to do this for others. But maybe eventually I will do it for myself again. Thanks for all the support.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

For many of us, drinking is just the symptom of a deeper problem. Do you feel the need to address underlying problems? Like why you don't care about yourself? And if so, how?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Therapy twice a week. I've never done that before or this type of therapy before. I was adopted and in three different homes before the age of 6 months. Professionals say that has leaves an unconscious memory with an infant. Otherwise I'd say childhood abuse, an alcoholic adoptive father and a bar full of bottles which I began drinking from when I was 13.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello!

I'm taking Antabuse as well as campral.

It was my therapist's idea. I am doing outpatient therapy 4 days per week, seeing a personal therapist, and going to meetings daily.

I'm going to be living alone beginning next week, and she thought it would be a good idea. Today is day 47.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Hello!

I'm taking Antabuse as well as campral.

It was my therapist's idea. I am doing outpatient therapy 4 days per week, seeing a personal therapist, and going to meetings daily.

I'm going to be living alone beginning next week, and she thought it would be a good idea. Today is day 47.
Good for you, Elizabeth! And Oregon is a beautiful state, especially in the summer and fall.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've never taken it but, considered it at one point. I say, whatever works, use it.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on it, I'd like to get a prescription myself.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've actually been to my doctor and asked him to prescribe Antabuse earlier this week. His reason for not prescribing it immediately was that he was worried about severe withdrawal symptoms and that I would have to white knuckle it myself for at least a week before he would prescribe it. Drat! However, my resolve is strong (most times) and I've set September 1 as my day 1. I'll be coming here for support as well as seeing a counselor. AND I will be returning to my doctor in one week for the Antabuse prescription. I don't trust myself for at least the first few months.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I began recovery, I learned about Antabuse and began taking it right away. The doctor explained the drug's effects to me and I wanted to avoid that impulse first drink scenario. I took the drug daily but came to realize it would not be wise to take forever. So, in consultation with the doc, I stopped after about 9 months, during which I experienced no desire to drink. I was getting counseling for awhile then.

That was many years ago. for me, the drug prescription worked just fine. The main side effect was that it made me sleepy, though I was probably suffering from PAWS at the time.

Consultation with experienced medical practitioners is essential to recovery. Good luck to SO and E888.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I took campral but i didn't really notice anything

Hope it all works out
Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I take antebuse a couple of times a week and see a therapist.

I like it right now, because it takes away the whole "mental battle" but it makes me sleepy and taking it every day made me feel terrible.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thank You Slightly Off - After a lot of thought & talking with my Doctor, I started taking antabuse 2 weeks ago. I know it will not be the "cure all" for what ails me & that I have to work on my "coping skills", develop a support system with other recovering alcoholics, but feel relieved now to have this medication to help me build some sobriety while I work on these things. I do not take it everyday (did the first couple of days), but am taking it every few days (as discussed with my Doctor). As others here have described, it is just so nice to not have that constant battle in my head as to whether or not I'm going to drink....it is not an option. I plan on taking it at least till I have 4 months of sobriety, then will consider stopping it then.

When I tried it 5 years ago, it was with the idea that I would take it when i didn't want to drink, then stop a week before I wanted to drink - Now, I know that I just simply do not want to drink anymore, don't want it as any part of my life.

I've been through an outpatient treatment program & went to AA for about 6 months...I learned some useful things in those programs & try to apply them in my life, but struggling to keep sober. I am in my 17th day of sobriety today...taking my antabuse tonight (makes me sleepy too) & planning for a sober 3 day week-end.

Just FYI - along with not drinking, I read that people can be sensitive to lotions, deodorant, hairspray, etc. that contains alcohol. Also paint thinners & such. I am also be very careful about foods I eat that may contain alcohol.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SlightlyOff

I can't speak for anyone else but the resolve I have now grew over time.....the more sober time I had, and the more I worked on making myself and my life happy, the more my resolve grew to not lose the new me or the great life I was building.

I have no opinion on antabuse cos I've never used it

If your Dr is on board, and it helps you stay sober and helps get you to the next phase of making yourself and your life a happy one, then more power to you

D
Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
totfit

Antabuse worked well for me several years ago when it seemed no matter what I did, I could not stop "starting" again. It was an immediate and lasting relief for me to have the opportunity to drink taken away. I began to realize that the opportunity to drink normally was actually gone way before I ever took antabuse. Now I just do other things besides drink. Finding other pursuits and passions are what drives me. Take this time to develop lasting fulfilling activities. Drinking becomes nonsense at some point or it will be accepted internally as nonsense.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 16 for me on antabuse. Before that I couldn't even get a few days. Feeling quite optimistic. As others have mentioned, it's great for that mental battle to be taken away and just to know I can't drink. Life is slowly improving again. Plan to stay on it till i have at least 6 months. Grateful.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by SlightlyOff View Post
However, my doctor of 3 1/2 years knows my addiction better than anyone and he was very quick to prescibe it when I asked. He said he knew it was "old school" but that he's known people on it 20 years and they do it as an "insurance policy" because they are highly impulsive people.
If you have a good relationship with a doctor who knows you, and you work together, then I think it's worth a try, especially combined with therapy.

I hope you enjoy the relaxation of knowing you can't drink. I got there mentally eventually, but it took me years. I'm sure with your therapy and doctor's support you'll get to the point where drinking is unthinkable without pills.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This thread has given me so much hope! I cannot wait to start this!