Notices

The next challenge?

Old 09-27-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The next challenge?

I'm nearing 120 days and I feel like I'm ready for a new challenge, like losing 30 pounds.

My question is, did you have another challenge that you tackled after the booze? Did beating the bottle give you the confidence?
Old 09-27-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes! I started running and completed some 5Ks and 8Ks, then I took up weightlifting and got my deadlift up to 180 lbs, was able to do one full chin-up, and a 5min+ plank, I gave up most processed foods and began eating paleo long-term, got two Beagle dogs, started writing a book, started meditating regularly, and just a couple days ago I finally gave up coffee and now I'm a tea drinker

It's been an exciting and very challenging (mentally/emotionally/psychologically) year and a half!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

good luck aborkie

well done on your near 120 days
Old 09-27-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes.

I trained up to bench pressing my weight (210 lbs then) and deadlift 320 lbs, then I shifted focus to running (because spring/summer) and worked up to 40-45 mile weeks with a long run from 11-14 miles, and lost sixty pounds somewhere in there.

Diet and exercise are similar in some ways to staying sober -- it's a day-in/day-out grind where progress is measured not in days or weeks but in months, and 90% of it is controlling what you put (or don't put) in the pie-hole, and as you improve your self-esteem/confidence/pride improves along with it. To focus on training and proper diet in sobriety felt very natural.

I try to set a goal for the year. This year's goal is, oh hell, I don't even know.. Maybe start dating again. Or clean up my basement. I don't know which of those is scarier.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aborkie View Post
I'm nearing 120 days and I feel like I'm ready for a new challenge, like losing 30 pounds.

My question is, did you have another challenge that you tackled after the booze? Did beating the bottle give you the confidence?
No doubt beating the bottle frees up time for us to take on new challenges. What is also awesome about is that now that we are sober we actually have the drive to take up those challenges! Recovery really is win/win for us and this is a perfect example!

Congrats on 120 days! Well done!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Im considering quitting nicotine, going back to the gym and after that start dating again
Old 09-27-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll be running a 50k trail race Fall of 2015. I've never run over a 1/2 Marathon.