Notices

I'll give this a try...

Old 09-21-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'll give this a try...

I want to give up drinking, I have sooo many things that trigger me wanting a glass of wine or a beer and then I usually have to much. Whether it is a nice sunny day to hang out by the pool or it is a rainy day to stay inside and watch a movie, it usually involves some type of alcohol and usually too much, then I don't get up early and miss my workout before work and I am not as productive as I would like, or most importantly I'm not the best husband & father that I could be. I've been at this a long, long time and I think one of the reasons I can't stop is that I have many people in my life that drink and don't understand why I would ever want to give it up. I have read some posts here and it sounds like there are a great deal of people who are exactly where I am (which I never knew, I always thought I was the only one who would try to go 100 days without drinking) So today is day 1 - and I just got back from church and finished cleaning the kitchen and thought about cracking open a beer and seeing what is on TV....instead I signed up and logged in here and then I am going to go for a run. Hopefully I can at least make it through one day.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sounds like a good start to your Sunday: church, a bit of cleaning. You'll find lots of people here who are in the same boat as you.

I imagine your wife and kid(s) will be pleased if you tackle an alcohol problem. Even though it may seem that everyone around you drinks, it's probably not true. What about the people at church? There may be some sober ones there you can hang out with.

Keep posting - it's good to have you on board.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Magellan

Im going to say a lil prayer for you tonight

a run sounds like a good idea whatever happens dont drink sounds easy but im rooting for you

and i promise you your life will change so much for the better

good luck
Old 09-21-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome.

The first few days are really hard, but your plan to keep busy with healthy activities is brilliant. Stay stron!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going to try to make a list of things I could do during times of temptation to help me not drink. Idk if it'll work, but hopefully having something to reference will help me stay on the right path.

Being on this board rather than cracking open that beer is a good diversion, so you are on the right track!!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
...I think one of the reasons I can't stop is that I have many people in my life that drink and don't understand why I would ever want to give it up.
Or maybe you can't stop because you are alcohol dependent. So treat the problem accordingly.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks everyone for the input. It definitely helps!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drank because I was an alcoholic. It was Wednesday. It was sunny. It was rainy. It was daytime. I was bored, mad, frustrated, happy, celebrating, rewarding myself. Yeah. I didn't need a reason and everything was a reason.

I couldn't stop once I started.

It is far easier and 100% better to be abstinent than to try yet another failed experiment in moderating.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a great place for support.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Magellan, welcome to SR. Lots of help here for you.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
... it sounds like there are a great deal of people who are exactly where I am...
I've been exactly there.

You can do this, and you will be amazed at how good a move it is.

Welcome aboard.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, I logged 5 days, then Friday hit, I actually signed into SR at work and read some posts and thought that I was fine, drove past my favorite wine store and got home, my wife was cooking a great dinner and having a glass of wine, I resisted the temptation at first then the little voice said, just have a glass...and I did, then proceed to have like 4 or 5 - even had a beer, waking up this am was a bit more difficult. I knew I would feel this way and did it anyway, I'm an idiot with no willpower. Oh well, I have to get back in the saddle, I lost Friday, which means I will probably lose today - Saturday and just hanging out - the bounceback stat is not in my favor, but I will try! and I have my parents coming on Sunday for dinner, they are in their mid 70's and living the country club lifestyle (i.e. fraternity living for old people) so they get here early afternoon and start drinking, talking about any one of my six siblings, etc, etc. or their dog (I call Cujo - which I banned from the house-big issue!) so my issues with them. I had such a good week (sober), very tough meetings & situations, up and downs, but I handled everything with much more confidence, I want to continue and not get drawn back down. Oh well, back to day 1, keep moving forward. I'm probably the only person wishing Monday would be here, maybe one day I will appreciate the week-ends as much more. Sorry for the ramble.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had to get rid of all the alcohol in the house, with husbands support. Had a wobble last night but didn't drink and I've got to day 8. It would be easier for you if you had your family's support
Old 09-27-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Mavis,
You are probably right, but I don't want to force my lifestyle change on anyone, I think it would cause more pressure on me. Of course for my parents it might be a good thing, my wife can have just a glass and stop - I wish I could. I have always been someone who quietly goes about their stuff...besides if I did I might put some wineries out of business!
Happy Saturday.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I drank because I was an alcoholic. It was Wednesday. It was sunny. It was rainy. It was daytime. I was bored, mad, frustrated, happy, celebrating, rewarding myself. Yeah. I didn't need a reason and everything was a reason.
I second this. Everything is/was a reason to drink. Everything!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

My life was pretty much all about drinking Magellan - to get sober and stay that way I had to radically change my life.

How far are you prepared to go in that respect?

D