Notices

Availing a sponsor

Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Availing a sponsor

I've been going to AA and want to find a sponsor but am at a loss on how to do so. Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

I went to a meeting. The leader asked, "are there any newcomers who would like to introduce yourself so that we may get to know you better?" I raised my hand and said, "I'm mfanch and I'm an alcoholic. I need help and I need a sponsor asap." I got a sponsor after that meeting that very night. The rest is history.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found someone who had what I wanted (someone who showed the kind of sobriety that I wanted ... solid and serene)... and I asked her.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They say it doesn't matter who you go with at first - just get a temporary sponsor. Later, as you get to know your group (and yourself and your needs) better, if you need to change, then you always can.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.
I personally have liked the idea in the beginning to ask someone you think will fit your needs to be a temporary sponsor as to me it’s not very intimidating. In any case all sponsors can be replaced it they don’t for various reasons work out.
In most cases I don’t think 2 sponsors are a good idea. JMO

BE WELL
Old 09-19-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for asking this. I'm amazed at people who can raise their hand in a room of strangers and ask for help...incredible (I wish I could do that!) I found a temporary online sponsor who is helping me to get started.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In the promises it says sometimes quickly sometimes slowly and slowly was for me the program in many aspects, including finding a sponsor. I wouldn't recommend it but when I came through the doors of AA, I had only a glimmer of hope and willingness and a lot of anger and mistrust. The thing that finally got me a sponsor was that I kept going to meetings, kept reading a lot of literature and one guy at the meeting who had a cup of coffee waiting for me when I came into this meeting and never pushed me. I was not unique but I was a hard case.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had a couple of false starts in sponsors. They ran the gamut from a fellow who was a total control freak trying to re-invent AlAnon as an ultra-orthodox morph between AlAnon and AA, to a different chap who is not returning my calls. I have been in contact with a new guy who might just work....