Notices

Day 15 ...

Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15 ...

The past rears it's head once again. I don't want a drink today, things are going okay. I just want to let go of bad experiences and connections to people with whom I used to know and drink with - some of whom became the cause of stress and ultimately my depression.
These feelings come back now I am more clear headed. I want to forget and move on. I want to meet new, sober people and start over.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a process rather than an event I think

15 days is great...Congratulations

the more you stay sober and work on your recovery the more you should find you focus on the present rather than the past

D
Old 09-15-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 15 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hopeful

I'm at day 5 and looking forward to being where you are! I do have to say though, that I am worried about how I will handle things when some of the people that I have drank with try to get me back into the bottle. Gotta stay strong
Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeremiah2911 View Post
I'm at day 5 and looking forward to being where you are! I do have to say though, that I am worried about how I will handle things when some of the people that I have drank with try to get me back into the bottle. Gotta stay strong
Just think about yourself. I have come to realise that 'drink' (i.e. alcohol) is the only drink you have to justify not drinking to others. That is because of the all pervasive culture of drinking we live in.

Therefore peer pressure is a huge problem so stay out of the way for a while until you feel somewhat adjusted.

People will ask you: "Why? Do you have a problem / are you alcoholic?"
This shifts the attention away from other drinkers who may, quite reasonably, be drinking in more moderate amounts than you have been doing recently. What is not considered is that these same people may be at risk at different times in their life, be that in the short or longer term. (or may already be in trouble due to drinking).
Drinking in moderation is a fallacy because there actually is no absolute safe level except for non at all.
You will miss it for a time. You will start to see things that you haven't been dealing with come back into focus. You may, like me, be hiding depression behind your drinking. All this will temp you back to your old ways, so go easy on yourself and take things slowly.
Your body will start to thank you.
Well done on 5 days.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on the 15 days. Keep it up. Things will get better as time goes on. When I first got sober I had a hard time around people drinking. After awhile It didn't bother me at all. When you really want this for yourself nothing will set you back.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jeremiah2911; Just also wanted to say... you have gotten through the initial body shock. Now starts a different pace - of recovery. The way I see it, it is now repair not withdrawal. Discomfort is going to happen but this doesn't have to be negative.
Body; organs need to adapt back to normal - every part of your body has adapted to alcohol to some extent. That is why I have felt tired / stressed, anxious I think.
Mind; needs to regain a handle on life!