Notices

Depression sober

Old 09-13-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression sober

12 days sober. I don't have any cravings to drink but the depression and anxiety is crushing me. If I don't keep busy I start to go nuts. Is this normal? Does it get better or am I just a wack job?
Old 09-13-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think depression and anxiety is part of most people's early recovery experience.

If it's crushing you tho, why not see a Dr?

D
Old 09-13-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Completely normal. The sadness and anxiety will soon pass. Remember that. I honestly felt like the world was gonna end. Keep pushing through.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes...it was tough for me that way, too.

It gets better. I suggest ice cream and exercise and lots of sleep.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It gets better, just keep a positive attitude and stay busy completing goals you have. Even if there small victories it helps your mood
Old 09-13-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

For the first few weeks I found the best solution was spending time with other alcoholics in the meetings and after. They helped me keep it together enough to find a sponsor and start on the steps.

Every few days I got the feeling the sky was gonna collapse on me, a feeling of dread, that it was all going wrong. Maybe that's anxiety. I discovered that I created that feeling from my own actions. My sponsor helped me unravel that one. Stopping drinking was only the beginning. I still had an alcoholic mind making very poor decisions (read selfish) because that was my normal state. My behaviour made me feel bad, but I couldn't make the connection. I began to get a handle on it through step four.

I didn't believe it would work for me, but I was at least willing to try. Though I felt a hopeless case, I kept at it, one day at a time, and my life changed. Yours can too. Just hang in there and try to stay willing.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have struggled with horrible anxiety while being sober but it is slowly getting better as I work through each day. You have to think of how long you drugged yourself instead of dealing with your emotions naturally so try to remember that. Try to reach out to others for help and make healthy choices and you will be amazed at how much better you will feel.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This may help a little 10 Natural Depression Treatments
Old 09-14-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Cant believe im using a phrase from somebody who chooses not to be in contact with me anymore but here goes (sorry i had a friend in aa who chooses not to know me because i am not anymore)

The good thing about being sober is you get your feelings back
The bad thing about being sober is you get your feelings back

But like D said if it persists and you feel overwhelmed then make a doc visit (you should anyway explain your in recovery and you will get help if you explain your finding it to hard to cope)

all the best
Old 09-15-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's gonna take time to adjust without alcohol, the body can't wipe away years of drinking in a matter of weeks!!

Hang in there!! It gets better!!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Google "addiction and anhedonia".

There are a few people who claim they didn't have increased anxiety and depression in early sobriety, but I am not sure I believe them. The brain's natural response to persistent inebriation is to produce more anxiety. Seems it's bad for survival of the species to lay around complacently all the time. Take away the inebriation and it takes the brain a few months to stop overproducing the increased anxiety.

It's a tough time, but it gets better. You can do this.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If it gets too bad, I would see a doctor. With that said, I have to keep myself busy to avoid the depression. I'm only at 14 days and on Saturday I had a hard time because I didn't really have a plan other than to clean my house. After that I just kind of laid on the couch most of the day. Around 4:00, I started to get restless and a little depressed and bored (also, hubby was outside watching football and drinking!). So, for me, boredom and depression may be linked? Yesterday I made myself exercise and get out of the house and roam around town...it was a much better day! Maybe try to find a relaxing hobby that can take up some of your time?? Exercise is good too!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One thing I've noticed. Folks like me who had problems with depression, anxiety and stress while drinking and in fact used alcohol to medicate these problems away still have the same problems and feelings after they stop drinking. I have met many who thought that if they just stopped drinking all the feelings of anxiety and that crazy feeling would go away. It doesn't. This disappointment is a fundamental reason for relapses. That is why I need to continue to work on other healthy methods to relieve depression, stress and anxiety since I stopped drinking.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by DefconOne View Post
One thing I've noticed. Folks like me who had problems with depression, anxiety and stress while drinking and in fact used alcohol to medicate these problems away still have the same problems and feelings after they stop drinking. I have met many who thought that if they just stopped drinking all the feelings of anxiety and that crazy feeling would go away. It doesn't. This disappointment is a fundamental reason for relapses. That is why I need to continue to work on other healthy methods to relieve depression, stress and anxiety since I stopped drinking.
I had the same experience. In fact I think it was the main reason I tried to stay drinking until the end, because life was so awful without alcohol. Stopping drinking didn't fix anything. In a way it made it worse.

I did have some success by filling up my spare time. I was serving a sentence periodic detention which took a up a lot of spare time and energy and I stayed sober until the sentence was complete. Then I drank.

I tried a medicinal approach, which my doctor calls solid alcohol, just a different bottle. It didn't do the trick, but there were people on the pub who would pay good money for my pills, 1 litre of beer per tablet, so I drank.

Then things got so bad I tried the last resort, the one I had done everything I could think of to deny and avoid, a way I never thought could possibly work for me, a method I had absolutely no understanding or experience of. I never drank again.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I felt that way the first few weeks. We have a lot of healing to do - and a big adjustment to our new life. Everything will settle down bouncer. Congratulations on your 12 days.