O/T - I think my cat is seriously Codependent

Old 09-11-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink O/T - I think my cat is seriously Codependent

A few of you know we've been through a couple of litters of kittens over the last year or so. We had rescued a sick, frail female a couple of yrs ago & nursed her back to health; since her growth was stunted & her heat came later than normal, I kept missing the signs to get her fixed in time before she would escape & get pregnant. All in all it's been fun for DD but I'm happy to be d.o.n.e. with kittens for a long time, .

We found wonderful homes for all of the babies except for the last one, Olaf, which we kept because he's just special.

And now she seems to be having a hard time letting go of having someone to coddle & nurse & teach. Even though he is 5 months old I am *still* having to stop her from trying to nurse him here & there. When she can't "find" him in the house she calls & calls & calls & calls until he answers. A few times each day she gathers up his favorite toys, calls to him in that deep-from-the-belly-Mama-Cat-Chirupping sound, wanting him to play, wrestle & make sure he is bathed. He will drop whatever he is doing & go running because Mama is calling!

At 5 months he is "this close" to outsizing her - she is petite & he is huge & it's hilarious to watch them interact this way. She seems like she doesn't know what to do with herself without a little one to train for hunting & to depend on her after being in Mama-mode for so long.

I hope she finds recovery soon, for her OWN sake.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awwww... Is there Mom-Anon for felines?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dogs are wonderfully codependent!
Old 09-11-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aw! I think this is so sweet.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't blame the mama cat....I'd probably be the same way
Old 09-11-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hilarious! Maybe you could foster kittens for a local rescue? Sounds like mama would love it.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopefulinFLA View Post
Hilarious! Maybe you could foster kittens for a local rescue? Sounds like mama would love it.

No way, Jose! We have already "fostered" 3 litters, totaling 15 kittens in less than 18 months. No. More. Kittens.

(for a while, at least, )
Old 09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heh heh. I did foster care for kittens for a long time. I'm with you, FS, "no more kittens." I've managed to stay away for four years now, my place is way too small for kittens.

Bless their meowy little hearts.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Has Olaf sleeping all day on the sofa? Is he not taking responsibility for his hairballs? Is he abusing cat-nip?

Remind mama cat of the three C's

She didn't Cat-Cause it
She can't Cat-Control it
and
She can't Cat-Cure it
Old 09-11-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
Has Olaf sleeping all day on the sofa? Is he not taking responsibility for his hairballs? Is he abusing cat-nip?

She didn't Cat-Cause it
She can't Cat-Control it
and
She can't Cat-Cure it
Old 09-11-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The Mama pull is strong. I had that same thing happen several years ago. I was imagining a 5 year old cat still suckling on Mama even though nothing was coming out.

Have you had Mama spayed yet?
Old 09-11-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post

She didn't Cat-Cause it
She can't Cat-Control it
and
She can't Cat-Cure it
Now that you mention it,......... his toys are kind of like his DOC.... I've never had a cat that loves playing fetch quite so much. When she gathers his mouse, fuzzy blue ball & pipe cleaners, she's totally enabling him..... he goes nutso... growling at all the others, trying to figure out how to carry/hide more than one of them at a time..... AND they were arguing over a bag of catnip that "one" of them dragged out of the cabinet one day last week...... fishy.

Suki - yes, Mama got fixed about 3.5 months ago.

Gotta run - time for a last round of fetch so he'll get worn down & sleep without WAKING me to play fetch at 5 am. Yes, seriously!
Old 09-11-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Gotta run - time for a last round of fetch so he'll get worn down & sleep without WAKING me to play fetch at 5 am. Yes, seriously!
Ah! He lets you sleep in.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lol. Cute thread. I love cats. I have kittens right now too.

How long after a litter does the mama go back into heat? When can I get her spayed?

My mama cat sat belly down in the floor today and showed some tough love. No matter how much those kittens pushed her she wasn't budging. She must have been tired of them for awhile!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Where's our photo?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

FG - I will upload a pic for you, lol. I have to run to a mtg but should have time this afternoon.

Thumper - hilarious!! We had mama spayed when the kittens were about 6 wks - that way they were on solid foods, could do without nursing for a time & she got to heal a bit. But she was able to continue nursing right away when she was feeling better. Her litters were pretty close together - I think at one point she was pregnant only about 11-12 weeks after having a litter? I kept waiting for her to be DONE nursing - that was my big mistake.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

LOL - my dog is totally co-dependent to a T!!!!!!

They need to have like cat-a-non and dog-a-non!!!

Thanks for making my morning with this post! LOL!
Old 09-12-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
FG - I will upload a pic for you, lol. I have to run to a mtg but should have time this afternoon.

Thumper - hilarious!! We had mama spayed when the kittens were about 6 wks - that way they were on solid foods, could do without nursing for a time & she got to heal a bit. But she was able to continue nursing right away when she was feeling better. Her litters were pretty close together - I think at one point she was pregnant only about 11-12 weeks after having a litter? I kept waiting for her to be DONE nursing - that was my big mistake.
OMG Really? I need to get her to the vet ASAP!! I thought I had to wait until the kittens were gone. I definitely do not want another batch. I only let her have these because my kids have never had or seen a baby anything. It has been really wonderful. They love it but toooo hard to find homes for them. They are about 10 weeks old now - so so cute and fun.

The mother was about 8-10 weeks old when she wondered into our yard and when fall came I couldn't not let her in the house so she is ours now. The kittens are so so so cute and fun. I inherited another cat my aunt could not keep and then we have our old cat that is mine. I do not NOT need 7 cats, lol. My neighbors would picket. I wish I lived in the country so I could keep them though.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

FS, I just took in a kitten that was abandoned by it's momma. My male cat now thinks he is the daddy and watches over her with a protective eye all the time even though she clearly drives him nuts and climbs all over him LOL. He grooms her, and I noticed this week she started doing the same to him. They are funny to watch!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Lol. It's great to have a good giggle on here from time to time xxxx