Notices

Feeling down

Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling down

Day 30 tomorrow and I've never got this far before. But feeling really low. Took the dog a walk and just burst in to tears. Thankfully in the woods on my own. Just wish I could switch my thoughts off for a bit. Suppose that's why I used to drink. Because I was feeling like I needed help I rang and booked a doctors appointment. But now no clue what I'm actually going to say. Haven't had medical help so far. My husband keeps saying you look so sad and find it so hard to explain that anxiety and over thinking are driving me mad. I feeling like I've failed because I have a problem with drink.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You haven't failed! It's a smart person that realizes they need help. Making a doctor's appt was a good move.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

No you haven't failed

I used to say its like a ***** in my armor

I realised being alcoholic is my greatest strength/asset

Hang in there 30 days is fantastic your doing it !!!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When you pick up a drink and whether you want to or not continue to drink uncontrollably day after day, that is my definition of failure.

A winner is a person who can stop drinking for 30 days which is a fantastic achievement and then says that done. Thats 30 victories, lets do it again. Thats winning.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I had to remember that alcohol wasn't about winning or loosing, it was about living with the cards that were dealt, my cards don't allow me to drink and that's the way it was, there's no right or wrong, success or failure in any of this, it's just learning to live with how things are!!

For the first month I didn't really do much, went to work, came home, went to bed, nothing really exciting happened, I was shattered most of the time, but as more time passed things improved, I mourned the loss of my friend alcohol, my mind was now going a million miles an hour and I had lost my favourite off switch.

Be honest with the Dr, you've everything to gain if there is something they can help with!!

Hang in there!!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You have not failed if you are willing to get some help. Those that fail are those who do nothing about their problem and hide in isolation. You need a support system, reach out!

Good luck. Be proud of taking control of your life!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 29 as well. I am so sorry you're feeling low- GREAT call on calling a doctor. I have done this with TONS of support, and you've been doing this totally on your own- that explains a lot. You are (beyond!) wise to seek out a pro/dr.

Good luck, and know that we are all here for you. And we are super proud that you've gotten this far!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not alone.. I cried all morning, cussed the router for not working properly , snapped a DH... I read in a thread that it takes time. We put ourselves through a lot. ... I'm happy for you and your progress! Smart to call the Dr!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-08-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I think seeing the doc is a good idea too. Also maybe you're still having those emotions we go through early in sobriety. I know each end every time I stopped drinking I would be so emotional and kinda depressed. I'm sure your doc can help you in some way. Hang in there! 30 days is awesome!!!

Old 09-08-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember feeling a LOT like that at 30 days. Spontaneous bursts of emotion. Feeling down on myself. Feeling sub-standard... feeling like I was somehow lesser or broken.

At almost nine months I feel like one of the lucky ones. I feel renewed. I feel freed.

It gets better... keep at it.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was my experience at 30 days too Oswin. I had a lot of recuperation to do in mind and body.

It got a lot better from there, but I still think it's a good idea to see your Dr

D
Old 09-08-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks I know your all right. Just need to get my nerves together to go to the doctors. So glad to have SR all your support has definately helped get me to 30 days
Old 09-08-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Hey Oswin,

Although early sobriety has had some challenges, when I feel down, I remind myself how much better things are now that I'm not drinking.

If I had taken the other path 61 days ago, I could be dead, or in jail. That thought alone makes me feel better.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yaay to you, on brave sobriety.

I drank to assemble the wall between myself and my sadness. It was made of some odd invisible metal; when my feelings got hurt, or I felt close to tears, it just took a drink or four and I was a warrior who was not vulnerable at all. "F*** it" juice. That's what alcohol gave me.

In early sobriety, sadness washed over me in waves. I cry, am close to tears, cry, try not to cry.

I have been holding back this tidal wave of sadness through drinking.

I continue to hold at work. I'm not being very efficient, but I'm not crying in my office either.

I get home, and all sorts of things make me cry. I run hot baths, I take walks, I read - and I let it flow. No big deal. Just tears. Um, there's been a little bit of loss worth crying about.

I agree that if you think you are teetering into a clinical depression, it is wise to see doctor.

BUT, I want to share the other side too. You may simply be experiencing situational depression, or...ordinary sadness...which you have held through will and drink and desperate clenching for many, many years.

Doctors are trained to respond medically to depression and for good reason; if you have any self-harming thoughts, you need immediate care.

But, it is also absolutely appropriate and healthy to cry often in the first months of recovery, particularly after the first couple weeks of absolute shock to your system, as emotions take their rightful place in your being. Walking in the woods and crying is a powerfully healthy thing to do. If it doesn't feel too wacko, consider hugging (or leaning against) a tree. I know, they don't have arms to hug back, but their strength sort of seeps into you, and makes you feel stronger.

Heal. Cry. It's a messy business, full of boogers and puffy eyes, but worth every minute in its cleansing.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Oswin. I agree with the others. It's early days yet - our emotions are all over the place in the beginning. We have so much healing to do. You will get there. Be proud of yourself for the huge accomplishment of 30 days sober! Great job.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Youre doing great. Remember sobering up is hard on emotions. Im on a rollercoaster, and i was never an emotional man. It justs takes time. Have one of those magnums. Congrats on the 30 days. Thats an achievement to be proud of.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made the DR's appt. Reaching out for professional help is a very wise thing to do. Congrats on 30 days!