Notices

Change

Old 09-05-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

Change

Now that I have some clean time I am really wanting to change other aspects of my life. I've set a date to quit smoking cigarettes this month. I really want to change my diet. I started by stopping the purchase of any kind of cola. And I switched to half sweet and half unsweetened tea. (Yuck but I'm sticking with it) i guess what I want to know is how did YOU change the way you eat, drink etc... Did you follow a certain diet. I'm looking at the paleo diet but it scares me slightly! No bread or pasta ever??? What?

Also did you expierience the need to grow mentally, physically and spiritually ?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck with that Mamahawk.. good for you to take control of your health this way.

long ago, I quit smoking. I also at the same time, went on a diet, and started an exercise plan . some how, i had more willpower from seeing results in several things at the same time.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My appetite has steadied naturally after about 7 weeks off the booze. Was eating a fair bit of sugar for a while, chocolate, jellybeans mainly.

Belt has come in a notch and I'm starting to get more energy. Head is less prone to racing.

I'm happy with that for now, still smoking, drinking coffee. No exercise as yet.

I'm taking the tortoise approach this time around, as I took the hare approach first time around.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Forgot to add, trying to grow spiritually is my main focus, as I believe that to be my main problem.

The other aspects will hopefully come around in time.

But the "hole in the soul" that booze temporarily filled is what needs repair first and foremost.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mamahawk I too want to get off the cigs I'm in good shape for being 57 but this pill addiction is tearing at my body and mind up as you well know
Old 09-05-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quiting cigarettes before your pending surgery is one of the BEST ways to help yourself, breathing better, more oxygen and less chemicals in your body.

and quitting sugary stuff will definitely help with inflammation. I use a soda stream which is just seltzer and flavor it with fruit juice.
for the sweetners, try "Nectresse" it is super sweet but made from monkfruit, not chemicals. great for tea, zero calories.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mamahawk did you smoke more while you were going through wds
Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mamahawk

Wow. Thank you all for the great advice. I have set my date to quit smoking: September 15th.

Fandy I will try to find Nectresse for sure. This tea doesn't taste very good at all!

Brian I do smoke more than ever now that is why I am quitting. I don't want to save my life from pills and die from smoking! Hopefully I am quitting in time.

I'm not overweight right now. I did gain a little from all the sweets I started eating when I quit. My goal is to optimize my health in all ways!