Notices

Guess what...

Old 08-31-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guess what...

Guess what i did today...i went to my very first AA meeting. I am crying right now from being so overwhelmed. Why i didnt go earlier, why waited for so long? It was nothing like i imagined, it was million times better. It was open public speaking, after the meeting everyone started to chat, i felt lost so i decided to leave. I was almost out when woman yelled "excuse me, can i talk to you for a second" I said that it's my first time and start crying. She asked me to go back to chat and introduce me to others. She made me feel comfortable welcome and yes not alone. If she didn't stop me, i ounesly dont know if wouod go back. People were so nice to me, i got 3 phone numbers. Im going back tomorrow, one of the ladies will be there to support me that i dont feel too overwhelmed. If you just like me have a strong fear of AA meeting, please i am bagging you, go to the meeting, try it, just once...I had to drive twice before i stopped the car and forced myself to go in. So,I'm kind a proud of myself and thought to share
Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thank you for going to that meeting and sharing your experience!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
10/03/2014

Great job!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Tina1234,

Well done. Success stories keep folks going. Please try to create and share as many successes as possible.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

That first meeting is always the hardest but if you keep going it will get easier and easier.

Keep Coming Back, IT WORKS!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's a great post. I really relate to that. So glad I walked into my first one a few weeks ago too. It is tough to do but I have only found warm and friendly people who really understand.

I am sure your post will help someone feeling nervous about their first time.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

good stuff Tina

D
Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

right on!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good on ya,tina!!
ya gave me a moment of gratitude remembering the 1st meeting I went to when I wanted help.
puled intot he parking lot.backed into a parking spot, put the car in drive, went home and cried all nite. couldn't figger out what kept me from goin in there!
went the next night. totally full of fear of the unknown, yet I found myself walkin it. when I eneter the meeting room, the chair smiled at me and said,"hey, welcome and glad ya made it back!!"( he remembered me from previous meetings I went to to fulfill court requirements yet I wasn't ready at the time).
all I could say when it came to me was,'im tom im an alcoholic and I cant take it any more" and broke down cryin. I didn't have to say anything else. them folks there knew just what I meant.
I found my home.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job Tina! Keep at it!

Just remember to use those numbers when you need them. You didn't get them because people are just pretending to be nice. They are there to help, and they have been where you are.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that Tina!!

I've looked up meetings in my area a dozen times, and mentally circled which ones I could go to. Haven't made it to one yet though...I'm terrified. Your post encouraged me to try again.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I cried in humiliation at my first meeting. Turns out there was no reason to feel ashamed there and the humiliation since then has become humility. My first meeting was the point I turned my life around.

Alcoholism itself is not a moral failing.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post, I am trying to get the courage to go to a meeting. My fear is so silly, I am scared someone will find out. But that is just dumb because being a drunk fool is much more embarrassing than showing courage to get the help I need. I just need to go and get started on changing things.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Tina feels great doesn't it !!!

I found myself not alone for the 1st time in my life it was an incredible feeling

Good for you Tina !!