Notices

Admission vs acceptance

Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Admission vs acceptance

I admitted a number of years ago that I was an alcoholic. It is only recently that I have actually accepted that fact. It took understanding all that "being an alcoholic" means (to me) ... it's one thing to say it but a whole other ball game to actually understand it and accept it. I had to break down the mental barriers that stopped me from accepting the simple fact that an inanimate bottle of booze had control over my thoughts, actions and life. It is a humbling realization. And yet, it is freeing in a way too ... I can now accept that I will never be able to drink safely, like "normal" people. It takes an enormous amount of pressure off to not have to try to be "normal" ... I am not and I never will be. And for once in my life, I am ok with that. I have found a place where I fit in ... surrounded by a bunch of other people who are just as abnormal as I am, people who understand me, people I can relate to. Thank you all for helping in my sobriety.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was a huge relief for me too Hokey - like letting go of a burden I didn't realise I'd been carrying.

It was a real turning point - and yes freeing, for me too

D
Old 08-29-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Acceptance, honesty and willingness have all become cornerstones in my sobriety. Honesty about my relationship with alcohol lead me to be able to accept myself as a typical alcoholic. A willingness to do anything it took to live sober has led me to where I am now, which is a life free from the desire for alcohol. When I first quit drinking, I mourned my life. I wished I could be a normie, I wished I could drink like a lady and I wondered if maybe one day, I could exert my will over my alcoholism. It took some going back out there and doing research to convince me that I could never drink again. The real trick was never wanting to drink again. Acceptance has played a big role in that. I've never felt more free in my life!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

I agree there is a freedom and relief that comes from acceptance. The funny part is that what we "give up" is the pain and torment
Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Almost two weeks!!!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i had to be beaten, before i gave in, i had to come to see that no matter how much i tried and wished to drink like anyone else, for me i simply couldn't

it cost me so much pain and cost my kids who did nothing wrong and were innocent in it all, a lot of pain they certainly didn't deserve in there life, all because i thought i could drink safely and my selfish obsession with it all took over my entire life

the progression of the illness is what i found unbelievable,when my head cleared i still find it hard to believe at times when i look back at the filthy mess i was in that i really did end up down there

thats why i need new comers who are in that pit of despair to keep on reminding me where i was once
they show me were i never want to go again and without them i would soon forget as its been 10 years now for me
in aa i find the new comers regular and they really dont understand how much they help me
so even though i know i am an alcohilc and even though today i accept i am one and i try to live a good honest life etc i can soon forget just how bad it really was
hence i keep on going back and i plan to always keep on going back as i need to always be reminded
nothing reminds me more than a new comer
Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

In the 3 months it took me from admitting I was alcoholic I know in my heart I accepted it from the 14th July 2013 I have accepted that it is who I am I will never believe that I'm not alcoholic and through acceptance I have understanding to everything I am still learning today
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One thing I have learned on this journey of sobriety is how much I do not know. Again, I get back to acceptance that no matter where a person comes from or which stage of sobriety they are at or whether I agree with them or not, if I really, truly listen and/or read and just shut the hell up for once in my life, keep my own opinions and judgements at bay, that every single person has something to teach me. But the key is to listen and read with an open heart and mind, cast aside my former need to pick apart everything people say or type (because clearly that hasn't worked for me for my entire life) and be humble enough to accept others' experience, strength and hope without passing judgement on it. I am still learning this valuable concept, and sometimes I just have to sit back and say the Serenity Prayer ... because I cannot control everything around me, only my own thoughts and actions.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi. I often state that self honesty about my drinking and then accepting the fact that I cannot drink alcohol in safety is so very important. That said we need to remember when it was so painful and had a powerful grip on our daily life.
I’ve been sober for a lot of years and others like me who I meet weekly all have a maintenance program we follow or else the chances we will drink again and our chances of getting sober again are quite slim.
I often think that to be an alcoholic is a lot easier to recuperate from than many diseases I can think of and it’s the cause of many diseases.
Lives get better by just not drinking and following a program.

BE WELL
Old 08-29-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not sure to this day where my acceptance came from. I believe it was my HP. He had greater plans for me then I had for myself. He decided it was time. I don’t think I walked through that open window. I think he threw me through it. I was not walking willingly because I was so far in denial. I was not on the edge, I was in the hole and I had no idea how to get out. I got a gift, the moment of clarity, I don’t plan to give it back.

I feel like I fit in when I am in an AA meeting, I don’t stand out. Sitting in an AA meeting talking to a bunch of recovering drunks feels natural. I never felt uneasy or out of place. I felt lonely at the start until I got to know some folks, but never like I didn’t belong there.

Acceptance is the key. You put that with some willingness and action and I have never been disappointed with the results. Even the smallest amount of progress is hope.