Notices

Are Non Alcoholic Beers a gateway drug?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are Non Alcoholic Beers a gateway drug?

I read a review on the top non alcoholic beers on the market. Only three of those beers were rated at least a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Would drinking them just lead to me drinking real alcohol again?
Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

Uh-Oh.

Seriously though..... This is a hot topic of debate here..... Brace yourself.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.

I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but iI think it's good to ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other non alcoholic things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

Having said all that, you'll find folks who'll tell you it's not - I think everyone needs to weigh it up for themselves

D
Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Isnt an issue for me. Its a lot like beer. Especially the price. Ouch. Ive switched to craft sodas. Expensive but very tasty.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I got this !

I read a blog where a person goes out with friends and there drinking he's on fruit juice etc

Then and he put it like this in a blog

Do I drink na beer or not ? He proceeded to go shop and find out to try 1 thought it was nice

Built up a taste for them said he was drinking 9 a night no I'll effects at this point I thought it was a wind up !

He then started drinking again and I haven't heard nothing since

That's true on my soul

Take from that what you will
Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't drink beer, so I can't say except that I hate decaf coffee because I want the real thing. I guess if it leads you to want the real thing, it doesn't work.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Uh-Oh.

Seriously though..... This is a hot topic of debate here..... Brace yourself.
Thanks for the heads up! I'm new here and didn't know this was a popcorn worthy topic.

I only ask because let's say I had poker nights with the guys, or a Super Bowl party, maybe I could grab a six pack of said beer and bring that over.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

When m out and about drinking monster energy drink I don't like it in case someone I know might be think Its a tin of somthing Isshouldn't worry about it but I do and tbh the shape of the cannis just like a tin of beer I don't do it for that I really like monster energy drinks and from now since I'm questioning it won't go near it just because of the can shape in the wrong mood it could lead to all sorts if i m not honest I'm a liar and I prefer the cold hard truth
Old 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, this is a perennial issue on SR and I'm squarely with Dee on this one. Too much risk for what is really negligible reward.

A couple months after I chose sobriety, I went to my first event where I knew people would be drinking beer. I brought Trader Joe's pomegranate green tea, which was a dead-ringer for the red-tinged beer coming out of a backyard keg. At the time, no one knew I wasn't drinking and I *still* didn't even like what looked like a beer in my hand, let alone the possibility I might grab someone's cup and drink by mistake.

Fast forward 10 months: I no longer even like the smell of beer or wine. Choose new beverages. I really think you'll be pleasantly surprised how you no longer crave the taste.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The taste would remind me too much of drinking. If they came out with a no alcohol vodka I wouldn't go near it.

I'm doing just fine with my new Coca Cola Classic habit.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me sobriety has represented a shift in mentality. When I am in a social setting I am more focused on the people, conversation, food, ambience now. Having something in my hand that stirs up recollections of too many nights when all I was focused on was the glass irrespective of what else was happening seems like it would be like straddling the fence.

For me it is easier to just cut the cord. I dunno..non-alcoholic beer seems like driving by an ex-boyfriend's house….
Old 08-19-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Non-alcoholic beers give me a headache. It was like skipping the buzz and proceeding directly to the hangover. No thanks!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I dunno..non-alcoholic beer seems like driving by an ex-boyfriend's house….
That is hilarious Jaynie! Great comparison.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Its good to keep in mind that NA beers do contain alcohol, up to 0.5% ABV. Its neglegible, but its there. I thought sometime down the road I could enjoy fake beer, too, because I like the taste of beer and I thought NA meant 0%, but my recovering liver can't handle any alcohol...like, ever again.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Na...too risky. Same qualities but no buzz....I'd be afraid it would trigger a strong desire for the real thing that would deliver the buzz...and the acting like an idiot, the hangover, the remorse, etc, etc. Not worth it - I'll stick to something totally different.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Beer is part of my old life not part of the new. I don't drink NA beer for the same reason I don't go to bars. They have no place in my sober life
Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ha! I was just going to ask about the NA Bailey's coffee creamers. I almost bought one an hour ago, and I don't even like coffee creamers. I like(d) Bailey's in my coffee. Preferably with a glug of bushmills.

I put that sucker right back and walked away.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluehour View Post
Ha! I was just going to ask about the NA Bailey's coffee creamers. I just almost bought one an hour ago, and I don't even like coffee creamers. I like(d) Bailey's in my coffee. Preferably with a glug of bushmills.

I put that sucker right back and walked away.
Good idea. They have lots of good creamers out there. I always like caramel flavored myself.

One more thought/question about N/A beer: Does it make you as fat and bloated as regular beer? I've never tried one and don't plan on it.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No-- I drink them once in awhile and have no problem with craving. I prefer the taste of beer over soft drinks. Cigarettes are the gateway drug. I traded those for the e-cig-still a slave.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'd imagine that having an N/A brew probably wouldn't be ideal. Especially, for example, if you decide to buy a 6-pack and bring it home. I mean...it's pretty easy to see that's a disaster waiting to happen.

I know it's not fun to stand out in a crowd when you're out with pals, so that's probably why the N/A topic gets brought up sometimes. As for me, I rarely "go out" on weekends because as a recovering alcoholic I simply don't hang out on the bar scene. If some of my companions are drinking, I've stuck with a seltzer and lime. It's inconspicuous and it's my normal "sober drink of choice" anyway. If you can get past the awkward feeling of being the only one without a drink, you won't be bothered - and if you can't get past that awkward feeling, or feel pressured, you probably should just go home!