SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Are Non Alcoholic Beers a gateway drug? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/342540-non-alcoholic-beers-gateway-drug.html)

Jtf7 08-19-2014 05:30 PM

Are Non Alcoholic Beers a gateway drug?

I read a review on the top non alcoholic beers on the market. Only three of those beers were rated at least a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Would drinking them just lead to me drinking real alcohol again?

LDT 08-19-2014 05:33 PM

Uh-Oh. :herewego:herewego:herewego

Seriously though..... This is a hot topic of debate here..... Brace yourself.

Dee74 08-19-2014 05:35 PM

My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.

I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but iI think it's good to ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other non alcoholic things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

Having said all that, you'll find folks who'll tell you it's not - I think everyone needs to weigh it up for themselves

D

Tonymblue 08-19-2014 05:40 PM

Isnt an issue for me. Its a lot like beer. Especially the price. Ouch. Ive switched to craft sodas. Expensive but very tasty.

Soberwolf 08-19-2014 05:42 PM

I got this !

I read a blog where a person goes out with friends and there drinking he's on fruit juice etc

Then and he put it like this in a blog

Do I drink na beer or not ? He proceeded to go shop and find out to try 1 thought it was nice

Built up a taste for them said he was drinking 9 a night no I'll effects at this point I thought it was a wind up !

He then started drinking again and I haven't heard nothing since

That's true on my soul

Take from that what you will

soberjuly 08-19-2014 05:42 PM

I don't drink beer, so I can't say except that I hate decaf coffee because I want the real thing. I guess if it leads you to want the real thing, it doesn't work.

Jtf7 08-19-2014 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by LDT (Post 4849279)
Uh-Oh. :herewego:herewego:herewego

Seriously though..... This is a hot topic of debate here..... Brace yourself.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm new here and didn't know this was a popcorn worthy topic.

I only ask because let's say I had poker nights with the guys, or a Super Bowl party, maybe I could grab a six pack of said beer and bring that over.

Soberwolf 08-19-2014 05:47 PM

When m out and about drinking monster energy drink I don't like it in case someone I know might be think Its a tin of somthing Isshouldn't worry about it but I do and tbh the shape of the cannis just like a tin of beer I don't do it for that I really like monster energy drinks and from now since I'm questioning it won't go near it just because of the can shape in the wrong mood it could lead to all sorts if i m not honest I'm a liar and I prefer the cold hard truth

Venecia 08-19-2014 05:56 PM

Yes, this is a perennial issue on SR and I'm squarely with Dee on this one. Too much risk for what is really negligible reward.

A couple months after I chose sobriety, I went to my first event where I knew people would be drinking beer. I brought Trader Joe's pomegranate green tea, which was a dead-ringer for the red-tinged beer coming out of a backyard keg. At the time, no one knew I wasn't drinking and I *still* didn't even like what looked like a beer in my hand, let alone the possibility I might grab someone's cup and drink by mistake.

Fast forward 10 months: I no longer even like the smell of beer or wine. Choose new beverages. I really think you'll be pleasantly surprised how you no longer crave the taste.

MelindaFlowers 08-19-2014 06:01 PM

The taste would remind me too much of drinking. If they came out with a no alcohol vodka I wouldn't go near it.

I'm doing just fine with my new Coca Cola Classic habit.

jaynie04 08-19-2014 06:10 PM

For me sobriety has represented a shift in mentality. When I am in a social setting I am more focused on the people, conversation, food, ambience now. Having something in my hand that stirs up recollections of too many nights when all I was focused on was the glass irrespective of what else was happening seems like it would be like straddling the fence.

For me it is easier to just cut the cord. I dunno..non-alcoholic beer seems like driving by an ex-boyfriend's house…;).

Nonsensical 08-19-2014 06:12 PM

Non-alcoholic beers give me a headache. It was like skipping the buzz and proceeding directly to the hangover. No thanks!

MelindaFlowers 08-19-2014 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jaynie04 (Post 4849318)
I dunno..non-alcoholic beer seems like driving by an ex-boyfriend's house…;).

That is hilarious Jaynie! Great comparison.

bunnezjp 08-19-2014 06:21 PM

Its good to keep in mind that NA beers do contain alcohol, up to 0.5% ABV. Its neglegible, but its there. I thought sometime down the road I could enjoy fake beer, too, because I like the taste of beer and I thought NA meant 0%, but my recovering liver can't handle any alcohol...like, ever again.

happyandfree 08-19-2014 06:22 PM

Na...too risky. Same qualities but no buzz....I'd be afraid it would trigger a strong desire for the real thing that would deliver the buzz...and the acting like an idiot, the hangover, the remorse, etc, etc. Not worth it - I'll stick to something totally different. :)

MIRecovery 08-19-2014 06:29 PM

Beer is part of my old life not part of the new. I don't drink NA beer for the same reason I don't go to bars. They have no place in my sober life

bluehour 08-19-2014 06:31 PM

Ha! I was just going to ask about the NA Bailey's coffee creamers. I almost bought one an hour ago, and I don't even like coffee creamers. I like(d) Bailey's in my coffee. Preferably with a glug of bushmills.

I put that sucker right back and walked away.

MelindaFlowers 08-19-2014 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by bluehour (Post 4849349)
Ha! I was just going to ask about the NA Bailey's coffee creamers. I just almost bought one an hour ago, and I don't even like coffee creamers. I like(d) Bailey's in my coffee. Preferably with a glug of bushmills.

I put that sucker right back and walked away.

Good idea. They have lots of good creamers out there. I always like caramel flavored myself.

One more thought/question about N/A beer: Does it make you as fat and bloated as regular beer? I've never tried one and don't plan on it.

anattaboy 08-19-2014 06:35 PM

No-- I drink them once in awhile and have no problem with craving. I prefer the taste of beer over soft drinks. Cigarettes are the gateway drug. I traded those for the e-cig-still a slave.

bigsombrero 08-19-2014 06:42 PM

I'd imagine that having an N/A brew probably wouldn't be ideal. Especially, for example, if you decide to buy a 6-pack and bring it home. I mean...it's pretty easy to see that's a disaster waiting to happen.

I know it's not fun to stand out in a crowd when you're out with pals, so that's probably why the N/A topic gets brought up sometimes. As for me, I rarely "go out" on weekends because as a recovering alcoholic I simply don't hang out on the bar scene. If some of my companions are drinking, I've stuck with a seltzer and lime. It's inconspicuous and it's my normal "sober drink of choice" anyway. If you can get past the awkward feeling of being the only one without a drink, you won't be bothered - and if you can't get past that awkward feeling, or feel pressured, you probably should just go home! :)