Went to my first meeting

Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to my first meeting

For the last 3 days since the crappy hit the fan I have been an absolute angry, fateful, scared, lonely mess. From the encouragement of you folks here, I found and went to a meeting.

It was not easy. I am not comfortable around people, especially people I don't know. It's a social phobia, back from my school days of systematic bullying. I felt awkward and out of place. I wanted to run, but I stayed.

I'm glad I did. Listening to the stories, most of them almost exactly where I am now was a relief in a way. These were all people who have been going for years and they are ok. Maybe, just maybe I will be ok too.

I still don't know how I will manage this house alone. The thought of dragging the trash can to the curb........urg. It's heavy and I don't have the physical strength. The dogs are acting up and I'm losing my patience. But maybe I'll be ok.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm assuming you are referring to Al-Anon or Nar-Anon. I attend both. I started about 5 months ago and I already feel better. In fact I handled a very difficult situation over the weekend far better than I would have a year ago at this time. Keep going- they really do help. All the best😊
Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found that going to meetings got easier the more I went. Somedays I just sat there and passed on sharing because I just wanted to listen. One thing I have heard in Al Anon is this saying, "In An Anon, there are no MUSTS." So, take things at your own pace and just see how you feel.

I haven't read your other posts, but the answers will come to you as you patiently work your own recovery. You said it in your own post: You will be OK!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go Terp! Glad you bravely went and tried a meeting!

It is amazing how there is an echo of the same hurt and circumstances so you can draw a lot from their experience, strength and hope.

I hope you keep trying it as a tool to help you! Peace,
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on taking a very big step. Alanon saved my sanity and as you pointed out, being with people in the same situation (and those who had already gone through the process) gave me hope. I couldn't have left without the support. Take it one day at a time .. . you only have to get through TODAY. I learned to stop projecting and keep the focus on today. A big hug.