At least I know I'm being a moron.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At least I know I'm being a moron.

We live on a rural mail route that's contracted out to a person who is... well, not the brightest tool in the pickle box. Or just plain lazy. I don't know which. There have been times when he's delivered packages only after I've asked about them (they've been bouncing around in his car for a month or so).

More than once, he's returned packages to sender because he forgot that the kids and I have a different last name, and he has everything listed under my husband's name. Which kind of sucks, especially when it's something you've ordered, and you get charged for return postage and restocking fee by the company you ordered from.

I've complained to the postal service; they've basically given me the response that "ok, we got your complaint down, thanks Ma'm" and the dude continues working when he feels like it (sometimes we don't get mail for a couple of days).

AXH texted one of the kids last week (I wasn't sure he was even still alive) and told them he had mailed them a package. We still haven't seen it. I asked the mail guy and he was like "uuuh... no... I dunno..."

What does this have to do with anything? Well, I'm panicking. Because what if the mail dude returned the package as undeliverable? Then AXH is going to...

...yeah. What's he going to do again?

If an incompetent postal contractor f***s up, that is not my fault. But I get all those old worried feelings that if I don't control this, AXH will tear up heaven and earth again and make my life a living hell. He has no power to do that. I have no power over Mr. Slowpoke Lazy Postal Contractor Dude.

But I can always worry. Because, you know, that's always been known to help. There's nothing to affect the chain of events like lying awake at night and having anxiety attacks. No, really. You should try it some time....

Old 08-15-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're not a moron! ((((hugs))))

I know that anxious worrying feeling over things-I-can't-control-but-I-know-will-set-him-off really, really well. I hate it and it's so hard to derail it even with I know its what's going on. Deep breath.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you do find a way to let go of that feeling the uncertainty please let me know how. I get that feeling every night when my AH gets off work and gets home.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
But I can always worry. Because, you know, that's always been known to help. There's nothing to affect the chain of events like lying awake at night and having anxiety attacks. No, really. You should try it some time....
UGH. I wish I didn't know this feeling soooo well. I wish you didn't either! Sometimes I think "how much of my life have I spent worrying"...and then I find myself worrying about the answer!!!

Good for you for recognizing it and stopping the worry cycle! Maybe one day it'll stop itself before you even start! (A girl can hope right?)
Old 08-16-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Lillamy,

In the user's manual of How the World Works it states that the world will stop turning if my father (a 90 year old ACOA) stops worrying about everything.

I'm pretty sure I read your name in the chapter regarding Postal Deliveries.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This post cracked me up. I love your sarcastic sense of humor, Lillamy.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lillamy, thank you for sharing. I feel that way all the time trying to keep things together so the next shoe doesn't drop and those sleepless nights sound so familiar.