Notices

An experience of strength and hope...

Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An experience of strength and hope...

------------------------------DISCLAIMER ------------------------------------

The following is not a recommendation or an advocacy of the approach herein defined. It is offered merely as one man's experience as a means of illustrating that perhaps some of our concerns and paradigms of belief need not be as daunting as they sometimes may seem.

----------------------------END DISCLAIMER-----------------------------------

Last night I hosted a get together at my house. A good friend was back in town after her return from an extended period away. 15 or so folks came round to have a dinner party - all of whom are drinkers. Having had this same group round to my house numerous times in the past during which I too partook of drinking, there was some cause for inner anxiety over the rearing up of challenging feelings, being surrounded by drinkers and choosing sobriety.

Despite those fleeting thoughts, however, I really enjoyed being with my friends and had a very nice evening. Rather than remain engaged and encouraging the party to continue on into the wee hours and go to bed loaded and wake up to face a day hungover and exhausted... the party came to a natural ending point at a reasonable hour.

Today, I have some cleanup to do including the dumping out of several half-spent beers and a half bottle of wine. My fridge is still-stocked with beer folks left behind. And not once was I even a little tempted or grumpy or unsettled about any of it.

I just had a nice time being with my friends, hosting a get together, catching up and being together doing something fun and nice for another friend on her visit to town.

I'm over 7.5 months down the track and lately have had several run-ins with the old specter of the little voice within, toying with the idea of "just one or two". Because of that, it was really extra-fabulous to have this experience.

It made me feel really good about the prospects of life in sobriety and NOT having to give up things I love like socializing and holding gatherings of my friends.

Just wanted to share.

It's a great day to be sober.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's fantastic!!
Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Excellent post, Owl. So good and inspirational to read
Old 08-15-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Great post FreeOwl. Whether we like it or not, it's very challenging to isolate ourselves from alcohol. If forced to co-exist with alcohol, look at it as an opportunity to test your commitment to sobriety. Thank you.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post FreeOwl. I am not a fan of isolating ourselves with the drink or in fear of the drink. I know that in previous attempts at quitting an addiction..whether that be drinking or smoking or both...my answer was to stay home and avoid all triggers. It always became boring and lonely business..real fast. After enough time, I could justify my return to old behaviour...swiftly and easily.

In your post, my only dog barked when I read your recent wrestle with more frequent AV hauntings and your current possession of a fridge full of beer.

When I am on a diet I find it alot easier to not be alone with chocolate or cheesecake.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This was REALLY what I needed to read. Thank you, man.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Great post FreeOwl. I am not a fan of isolating ourselves with the drink or in fear of the drink. I know that in previous attempts at quitting an addiction..whether that be drinking or smoking or both...my answer was to stay home and avoid all triggers. It always became boring and lonely business..real fast. After enough time, I could justify my return to old behaviour...swiftly and easily.

In your post, my only dog barked when I read your recent wrestle with more frequent AV hauntings and your current possession of a fridge full of beer.

When I am on a diet I find it alot easier to not be alone with chocolate or cheesecake.
Yep... the fridge of beer is temporary. My Lady and I are heading off with the kids on a vacation with family and the beer is packed away for others to enjoy.

No worries here. Haven't even had a lick of interest in it and it's headed outta my house anyway.