Notices

in love with a heroin addict

Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in love with a heroin addict

I would appreciate advice from addicts, specifically heroin addicts, but any advice will be great. Little background about me I have knowledge in addiction from education and friends and family, however I am not an addict and truly understand that I could never understand what an addict goes through.
Now a little background about my bf. He had it all before his addiction began. Stereotypical all American boy next door. Started with pills and slowly began I've heroin. He lost all the positive things in his life.
Now our relationship when I met him I had a feeling he was a heroin addict, just wasn't sure if he was active or in recovery. He admitted he was a heroin addict and was previously in treatment, he failed to mention he was in the early stages of a relapse. Eventually after him denying he confided in me that he was using. I tried everything. Ultimatums. Tried being with him ignoring his using. Tried being with him and support his using. Tried being with him and making sure he had subs.
Currently we are on a break. He pretty much ignores me. I know he is continuing to use and is at the lowest point he ever has been. And I do love him and want a future with him but at this point I'm just wanting him to seek treatment before he dies.
The advice I need is, what would be the best approach? Should I go 'cold turkey' and not contact him? Should I give an ultimatum? Should I move on? Should I go to more extremes? Intervention? Thank you I appreciate any thoughts. And remember you are loved even if one cannot understand ur addiction.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 of withdrawal from a slight habit of morphine and heroin, and I've been fully physically addicted before... I can't tell you what you should do, but when I'm coming down, I want nothing to do with almost anyone... or sometimes when I'm getting high, for that matter... it all depends on what he wants, what you want, and the specific circumstances between he and you. But I will warn you, that this **** sneaks up on you. I and probably he at one point could not have imagined even trying this stuff... by associating with an addict, there is always the unspoken risk that you will be vulnerable at some point, slip, try it and never come back... And there is always the chance that he or I could possibly relapse, but there is also the preferred possibility that he and you and me will be free from these wretched drugs. (They truly are pure wretchedness in disguise, please do not ever try them they cause so much more hurt than pleasure....)

In terms of getting him to seek treatment, I've found addicts to be very unpredictable about getting help... if you're able to get him to emotionally identify that his problems are caused by the drugs, it's much more likely that he will have the mental clarity to control his actions.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would try an intervention. If you love him help him before it's too late. Every day I wish that I tried harder to help my friend that was a heroin addict. Now I'll never get that chance.