Notices

I'm wondering when

Old 08-06-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm wondering when

the urges to drink at a certain time of day went away for you all? I am on day 8 today (except for one beer last Saturday at lunch) and I'm doing pretty good most of the time but right at the end of the work day, 3'oclock'ish, I start thinking that it sounds pretty good to have a beer after work. So far I have been keeping busy, ignoring the "voice", practicing breathing, using my tools but I wonder if and when this urge will ever go away?
Old 08-06-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi 27cougar.

What you're going through is to be expected in the early days. I think it took me a couple months to not feel those urges. Every day it was a little better than the last. It'll get easier. You're doing great - congrats on 8 days.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm. On day 21 and still get cravings in the afternoon so it's gonna stick around awhile. It gets less intense over time tho. Stick with it
Old 08-06-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, they went away pretty quickly. I just knew I could never successfully drink again.

The drinking days are over.

The urges somehow subsided fairly quickly and easily after that point where I decided drinking could never again be an option.

There is the odd craving, image, thought, or impulse that crops up but it goes away.

Stick with it... it gets better
Old 08-06-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Around 30 days for me. It's great when you break that cycle, still tough, but at least you'll know you've overcome that particular hurdle.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm in my sixth week and one jumped me a couple of days ago. So strong I nearly walked out the door headed for the store.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I am a slow learner! My daily 5 pm craving was pretty much daily for the first couple of months. I still get it very occasionally, but if I can get a snack or a big glass of tonic water into me I am ok. I am 11 months sober.

Hang in there. The cravings do get less intense, and soon you will have a day when you don't experience one. It is worth it!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have heard of treating it like an Allergy. and there are some allergies that are fatal. IF you were allergic to peanuts you would not eat them. I think in a way we are allergic to alcohol, it effects us badly. Just have to knock it off your lists of things you are allowed to do. I never had a particular time of day, it was when I was taking a drink in the a.m. to feel good that I knew it was time to quit.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day 8. It took me longer than that for the cravings to go away - probably a few weeks. But, it will get better each day.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me two or three months for the cravings to go away, but they did finally stop. Now it's rare to have a craving to drink and when I do, it's easily dismissed. Give yourself time. Eight days is good but still very early in recovery. Be patient. You'll get there.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
For me, they went away pretty quickly. I just knew I could never successfully drink again.

The drinking days are over.

The urges somehow subsided fairly quickly and easily after that point where I decided drinking could never again be an option.

There is the odd craving, image, thought, or impulse that crops up but it goes away.

Stick with it... it gets better
SoberJennie makes an excellent point.

When you fully realize and accept that you can't drink anymore and honestly would rather not drink than drink, the cravings sort of go away.

When you know it's not even an option you don't even consider it. It took me many years to get to that point but when you do, you know it.

I also agree with Soberjennie that there are still thoughts, fuzzy nice memories, daydreams down memory lane, and even longing for the past when drinking worked and was not dangerous. When it was light and fun. I still get those darn daydreams but the thought of actually consuming any isn't there. Drinking stopped working for me. What I would be seeking, fun and relaxation, wouldn't even be there.

When you're truly done, you're done. You got this.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
SoberJennie makes an excellent point.

When you fully realize and accept that you can't drink anymore and honestly would rather not drink than drink, the cravings sort of go away.

When you know it's not even an option you don't even consider it. It took me many years to get to that point but when you do, you know it.

I also agree with Soberjennie that there are still thoughts, fuzzy nice memories, daydreams down memory lane, and even longing for the past when drinking worked and was not dangerous. When it was light and fun. I still get those darn daydreams but the thought of actually consuming any isn't there. Drinking stopped working for me. What I would be seeking, fun and relaxation, wouldn't even be there.

When you're truly done, you're done. You got this.
Yes, I agree with this, too. I think everyone is different but it took me about two to three months, I think, for the cravings to fade. But the key is really drilling into your mind that you are finished. Once that gets through, the cravings lessen quite a bit. Also changing your routine is big if you drank around a certain time of day or in a certain setting. For me, between 7pm and midnight were danger zones. I drank alone in my house at the end so it was important that I was out of my house during those times. Meetings, walk around the mall or grocery store, gym, whatever.

You're doing great!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 27cougar View Post

I am on day 8 today (except for one beer last Saturday at lunch)
simple question
do you have 8 days or a little less

best to start off with an honest sobriety date (usually means 0 drinks)

then we work from there One Day At A Time (counting)

Bob
Old 08-06-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

They do that 27cougar.
Mine did anyway. Happy hour. Leaving work. Then after awhile anytime I was doing something new not drunk for the first time. Like a broken record.

But...and this is a big one. I noticed it passed. Those first couple of weeks I found that if I made it passed 7 o'clock I was kind of out of the woods. Now that was something to hang on to. And boy did I.

It rarely happens now. It may but it will be just a passing thought. I made the decision that I don't drink no matter what. I've had a lot of whats happen. It just wasn't an option. I lived.

It gets so much better. I can't believe some times how much better it is. Life can still be hard sometimes but that's okay. I don't hate myself and I don't live with constant disappointment. That alone makes it worth it for me.

Hang in there. It will get better. Part 1 is the quitting. Part 2 is the finding the path to live your best life.

You can do it.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me I embrace the cravings. It reminds me that they will always be there. Every time I beat a craving I am winning. I simply say not today you little SOB.

I have discovered this really cool trick. If I don't drink one I won't drink the rest.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That is a great idea Johnny. I use that one too. It also helps me immensely to stay in the day. I just don't have to drink for today. Thinking of forever is stressful and worrisome. Just for today. You are doing awesome!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys, appreciate the support as me and my friend Ginger Ale wind down for the night. And thank you for the check Bob, you are correct of course.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnnybsober View Post
For me I embrace the cravings.
I do this too. I think it's a good technique really. It's about being mindful of the craving, seeing it for what it is, and not giving into it. Nothing more than a passing craving.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post, was wondering the same thing. I get bad urges mid afternoon and then again about 6-7 pm.