Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

have you had success recovering with anti-social personality disorder?

Notices

Old 07-17-2004, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

:banghead: Hi - Im a recovering addict. Ive been clean since 3/1/98 and the steps have helped alot with many of my problems. One area in which I struggle has been socialy. Ive had the MMPI test tell me that I have many of the traits of someone with anti-social personality disorder. I have had alot of improvement with the problems of thinking the rules are not for me, problems with authority, negative perception of others etc. I've enough of a concience to keep me from the more harmfull things that the seriously anti-social are capable of doing. Luckily I had it even while using though I was definitly trying to disconnect the concience through using.
:banghead:
Heres where Im stuck. I have a horrible time being social. I want to be more freindly and talkative but I have problems getting started with people I dont know. I've read some in books but have had problems applying the therapy. Im also struggling financialy so a therapist is currently out of the question. I know there are many recovering people with this disorder. I just have problems finding and talking to them at meetings. I mean - what do you say? Scuze me - Im seriously not wanting to be a borderline psychopath and you seem to be recovering from it. Can you help me? I've enough social skills to know that is not a good way to start a conversation or make freinds. So - If your having luck with your problems with anti-social personality disorders please communicate with me

Thanks!
Scott W
Old 07-17-2004, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Scott,

Welcome to SR. We're glad you're here. I don't think I've ever met an addict or alcoholic that wasn't borderline something. We won't get into my own but I will tell you my experience with overcoming a lot of other issues while also recovering from addiction.

I have to say it sort of happened aitomatically as I went through the steps and participated in my recovery. If I wasn't comfortable about adsdressing something yet then usually I wasn't ready. As long as you stay away from the drugs and alcohol, al ot of time the rest falls into place. And really, funny enough, a meeting is probably the one place you can say

Scuze me - Im seriously not wanting to be a borderline psychopath and you seem to be recovering from it. Can you help me?

I know many on this board can probably relate to it.

You may want to go take a look down at the mental health forums and ask about dual disorder.

Once again welcome!!! You can always start getting to know this gang. They're a fun bunch!
Old 07-17-2004, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Scott,
Margo is so right about us being borderline something. I suffer from being shy. It's hard for me to talk to people because I'm afraid of rejection. I think that posting here and making a few friends on these forums has taught me a little about communication. And as Margo said, working the steps helps us to grow. I hope to hear more from you. We are a fun bunch. A little crazy sometimes, but we really do care about each other. Again, welcome!
Sherry
Old 07-18-2004, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Scott,
I can really identify with a lot of what you shared. My psych testing labelled me with personality disorder with anti-social features (among other things). This was mostly manifested as problems with authority but not lack of empathy, which sounds like what you were saying. And the first three steps really helped me get over that because I saw that doing things my way almost killed me and that I needed to follow directions.

I used chemicals as a social lubricant for decades and when I got clean I found myself rather shy and introverted. I am struggling even today with the social thing. I find what helps me is just to put myself out there. I read in meetings; I am involved in service; I go out with folks after meetings. And conversations just seem to happen. I still don't know how to start a conversation really, but I find if I just hang around, I don't have to!

Hope this helps, welcome to SR, and feel free to PM me if you like!
Love, Eddie
Old 07-18-2004, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Scott and welcome to SoberRecovery...
Like Stephanie said, bordeline something or the other is pretty common with addicts. I was diagnosed with bordeline personality disorder
(among other things), I asked my doctor for an example and he smiled and told me an extreme case would be someone like Glen Close's character in Fatal Attraction...that was reassuring...
I think once you snoop around here and read some of the threads in the mental health forum and meet some more of us boderline folks, you will feel right at home...