Notices

Hi

Old 08-02-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
misanthrope

Hi

Hello, I'm not normally a participant in forum discussions of any kind but at this point I'll give it a try. Thanks for taking a look and any advice is appreciated.

A bit about my drinking background...
I've been a six pack a day drunk for about the last 10 years, my weekend binges usually included a 12 pack a night for Friday and Saturday. I am generally a mellow drunk, and have used alcohol as a coping mechanism for whatever stress I was feeling in my life. The cost of this is a general emotional neglect of my Wife and Daughter who have put up with my self indulgent s**t for several years with rarely a complaint.

My decision to quit drinking happened two weeks ago when my Wife watched me p*ss out the front door of our house because apparently i forgot where the bathroom was. The trouble is I have no recollection of this happening, and this is not the first time I've blacked out while drinking. How potentially humiliating this would have been for my family if someone had of witnessed this. I am currently on the shitlist with my wife and have basically used up all my excuses and get out of jail free cards.

I am committed to quitting drinking and will do whatever i can to make that happen.

Thanks for listening.
FDG
Old 08-02-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome FormerDrunkGuy

I think the emotionally unavailable bit is probably the more serious issue, to be honest. One of the joys of recovery for me was re-kindling relationships I'd ignored for a long time

I know you'll find support here

D
Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi former drunk guy. Welcome here. I just joined a few days ago and have found quitting this time to be so much easier with the support I have found here. It just helps to read others stories and struggles and realize you are not alone, also to get support when you are having a weak moment.
I will tell you, that in just a few short days I have already noticed an improvement in my relationship with my kids. I am much more there for them, present in every situation and can enjoy things with them.
Not only will your relationship with your wife and daughter improve, but so will your health, your appearance, your budget.... so many reasons to quit. I find it helps to continuously remind myself of these reasons throughout the day and especially when I am having a craving.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum FormerDrunkGuy!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! It's great to have you onboard!!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. It’s great your trying to do something about what seems to be a noose around our necks. The answer to a better life is we simply don’t drink even if our A$$ falls off. Very simple , often we can make it difficult with poor planning and undisciplined actions and reactions. A suggestion is to read a lot of posts to answer the “I didn’t know what I didn’t know.”

BE WELL
Old 08-02-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome FDG!
Old 08-02-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

FDA welcome to the forum, great first step in joining

This is a very welcoming environment of people who understand.

Read, post , ask, come in often
Wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 08-02-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDrunkGuy View Post

My decision to quit drinking happened two weeks ago when my Wife watched me p*ss out the front door of our house because apparently i forgot where the bathroom was. The trouble is I have no recollection of this happening, and this is not the first time I've blacked out while drinking. How potentially humiliating this would have been for my family if someone had of witnessed this. I am currently on the shitlist with my wife and have basically used up all my excuses and get out of jail free cards.

I am committed to quitting drinking and will do whatever i can to make that happen.

Thanks for listening.
FDG
Hey, I JUST started posting, and your story matches mine very closely. I have done some embarrassing things lately (actually longer than I care to remember, what feels like lately is actually 10 years), for example, a couple of weeks ago, my wife woke me up to go to bed, I was simply asleep on the couch, and I started to get dressed as though I was going out. She couldn't "wake me up". She has no idea what happened, and I had no memory. Later that next day, I came clean, I figured she'd understand. WOW, was I wrong. Add a couple more similar screw-ups over the next couple of months, and my "mellow" drinking suddenly (to me anyway) came into focus. I was not mellow, I had a problem. I KNEW I had a problem for a long time, but baby step by baby step, I was doing dumber and more self destructive things. The increases were so slight the next stupid mistake wasn't different than the last, BUT, over a ten year period of steady small increases, the intensity level had increased dramatically.

Anyway, that is a long winded way to say, your story jibes well with me and mine.

By the way, your story at the door, (like my many) is not POTENTIALLY humiliating. It IS humiliating. Some of the things I've done, seem like, well - had 1 or 2 too many last night. But if I put a respected friend or colleague into the situation and it happens, it suddenly looks much different.

Anyway part 2 - I am speaking 50% to you and 50% to myself in this post. You and I shouldn't need excuses, and we shouldn't need get out of free cards.