Notices

Long Haul Flight Advice Needed!

Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long Haul Flight Advice Needed!

Hi there, new in town.

Long story short: I drank solidly for ten years, attempted to quit once, but didn't take it seriously. Now, I'm serious about quitting and am nearly through Day 12.

Unfortunately, I've come to the realisation that I NEED this while I am overseas. Living above a pub. The pub being downstairs, I can deal with, because I have good support here, but what I'm really worried about is the flight back to Australia. Not only does flying make me nervous, hence, prone to knocking back a few wines, but the flight attendants will be offering me free wine throughout the flight.

Anyone been through similar problems? What did you do? Help!

-o+o
Old 08-01-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

tell the flight crew when you board the plane that you are an alcoholic. and if they give you anything to drink they may have to make an emergency landing to get you off the plane.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to always get smashed during the whole arrive at airport, sit in airport for hours, get on plane, sit on plane for hours, it was all such a waste of time and alcohol was a great solution to the problem, the other thing is alcohol is very easily accessible during the whole experience, airport bars and flight attendants with a ready supply.

However the experience can be a Sober one, there are many many people going through airports who don't touch a drop of alcohol, families with kids going on holiday, mums and dads completely Sober for the duration, so it can be done.

The main thing for me is putting a plan in place, for both the airport and the flight, it's the same as planning evenings after work, simply a whole bunch of time that needs to be filled with other activities other than drinking, but leaving it to chance and figuring out on the day can be risky, best to plan it out beforehand and execute that plan to the letter!!

A few things I do now as examples, I browse the shopping in airports, I never buy anything but I'm very up to date now on perfumes and aftershaves, especially those that are on offer , on planes I now make sure I have a non alcoholic drink at all times, having nothing opens that door.

You can do this, but it's like any other aspect of life, the routine needs to be changed up and revolutionised!!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Tell the flight attendants you don't drink.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go to bed on the plane
Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome overandoverture

I have a friend who used to post here who travels a lot...they never thought they'd be able to fly with a drink...but they did...and every time they did it got easier.

I agree with whoever said tell the attendants you're an alcoholic (or simply 'non drinker' if the A word is too much)

D
Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why don't you try the spicy tomato juice? That's pretty tasty. A good book. If you can listen to music that is also helpful. Or a book on tape. Distract yourself until you don't need to, until not drinking is your new habit.

The flight attendants shouldn't allow you to drink yourself into oblivion. I used to be a flight attendant and I cut people off many times. First, they usually start watering your drinks down if they feel you've had too much. Another trick is to make the drink extra strong so the PAX would fall asleep. They would be cut off with one FA and go to another galley to get it from another FA. Must not have realized we have phones and would just call down, see the guy heading towards you? yeah, NO alcohol...lol.

Then we'd get to Amsterdam and be pouring screwdrivers on the crew bus. Believe it or not, I wasn't a drinker then. It was all around me and I had no interest, it just wasn't something I cared to do.

Just because it's all around you, you can find the strength to resist.

Ok, if I don't get off this message board I'm gonna be in divorce court, lol, not really but my husband is feeling ignored.

Good luck and be strong!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it's fair enough to be fearful. I have times where I travel a lot for work.

Here some things that might help;

- last time I slipped I had very scary heart palpitations, that did not stop...you probably don't want an unexpected response to alcohol on a plane if you haven't drank for 2 weeks.

- drinking on a plane makes me want to go to the loo - endlessly.

- drinking on a long haul flight pisses me off because I can't drink til I'm right off my face, so I just find it like uncomfortable moderating anyway.

- sitting next to someone and hoping I don't reek of alcohol.

- showing up drunk or hungover at the other end. Yuck.

Flying tips...

It's a long flight, have your first meal, then plan to watch a movie. Get some earplugs from the chemist to block out annoying people when you want to have a nap.

Make sure you have some music, and a book to read. I download on my iPad. Maybe one about alcoholism!

I also use inflight on my iPad. Not sure who you are flying with, but long haul flights these days are not boring enough to drink on.

Have a great flight and welcome home!

I always tear up when my plane lands back in Australia - I love our country!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like the idea of telling the flight attendant. Just pull one aside as you board and tell them that you are new to sobriety, an alcoholic and would appreciate their discrete help in staying sober throughout the flight. I think they would be absolutely sympathetic and go out of their way to make sure everyone knew not to offer you alcohol with your meal and if you asked to politely refuse.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I traveled extensively for work and did long haul flights all the time. I was just like you - a drunk flyer. Airports were a huge trigger for me ... the bar pre-flight, or lounge with free drinks (yikes), drink as soon as reaching cruising altitude, then order 2 just so I didn't have to wait, and many walks back to the galley for more. Once off the plane, a quick one at the bar before baggage claim, cab to hotel, and guess what ... drink some more.

Looking back, what a ridiculous waste of time. I always did what I had to do but man, thinking about what I did to myself makes me cringe. And I thought that EVERYONE did the same thing when they flew. Guess what? After 2 years of sober flights I can say with certainty that almost no one does that. Pretty much all of the passengers are normal folks who don't even have a drink on the plane. I was flabbergasted once I figured that out! Seriously. Sure, once in a while I'd run into someone who maybe had a few or smelled from the airport bar but not once did I deal with anyone consuming as much as I used to.

So, how did I overcome it? It was HARD but I was resolute in my commitment and powered through. Started taking crack of dawn flights so the bars weren't open when I got there. I drank a lot of orange juice in flight, slept when I could, and started renting cars on the other side as added reason to stay sober. After a few jaunts, I got used to it. Once arriving at destinations, I had to change everything about my routines. I spent MANY a day/night locked in my room watching movies and eating room service to avoid the bar and that was hard at first but became normal after a while.

I was firm in protecting my sobriety - and myself from myself. It did get much easier and now I can't even imagine traveling any other way than sober. I do miss some great times I had at airport bars but I've replaced those times with chats at the gate.

Anyway, it's hard and it's uncomfortable sometimes but it is worth it. Every aching minute. We CAN change our behavior it just takes resolve and wanting to be sober more than we want to be drunk.

Best of luck ... we are all rooting for you!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I like the idea of telling the flight attendant. Just pull one aside as you board and tell them that you are new to sobriety, an alcoholic and would appreciate their discrete help in staying sober throughout the flight. I think they would be absolutely sympathetic and go out of their way to make sure everyone knew not to offer you alcohol with your meal and if you asked to politely refuse.
the thing is, while I agree with this, I feel it would also be embarrassing. I mean when actually faced with it, I think it might be to embarrassing to say.

If you could learn a mantra "I'll have a water" or an orange juice or a diet soda...just say it and stick to it because pulling people aside and having every FA on the flight be told...then you might be embarrassed when the FAs make eye contact and etc.

plus, you enter a plane and the FAs are doing safety checks and trying to push back and close doors and speak with pilots and there is so much going on - making sure the right people are in the exit rows and etc

trying to get luggage to fit when some people don't get the limitations and bring too much on

I mean - he would need to find "the right time" - a nice quiet time and the opportunity may not arise

so not saying that is a bad idea at all - it's a great idea to tell the FAs - but practice the back-up plan - the "no thanks I'm good"...that worked when I was in my first week (and had a mini-vacation to Disneyland) and on the flight back, because of delays, the pilot said all booze was free for everyone - it was a very short "puddle jumper" flight from Orange County to SF. 57 minutes. So drinks are only free for the 1st class section.

I was new to sobriety (still new but not as new) and I was like, what??? free drinks??? after sitting on the tarmac for an hour I felt like it...

but when they came around I said "I'll have a Diet Coke please"

it just came out of my mouth...totally not what I wanted to say

just have a back-up voice planned in case you don't find the right time to have a discussion with one of the FAs

good luck!

and flying is very dehydrating and alcohol is just not the best thing to drink - think of that if it helps

and don't worry - planes want to stay in the sky
Old 08-02-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had a close friend a few months ago take a flight from Florida to New York. It's a 2 hour flight. He started drinking vodka sodas at the airport pre boarding, (must have been a lot) and continued on the flight. He was so drunk by landing security had to board the plane and assist him off. He was brought to a room in the back if the airport, and basically interrogated and had to explain his entire reason for flying, where and what he drank, and had to have someone come pick him up at the airport, as he wasn't allowed to take a cab by himself. I'm not sure if he got a fine, and was lucky not to end up in jail, but was extremely hungover and embarrassed the next day. He still drinks to this day. Just wanted to share this story just in case it helps anyone flying. Being drunk on an airplane alone is NOT a good idea. As we know as alcoholics, once that drink is in your system, it's a complete gamble whether you will stop or not.