Courage To Change 07/31/14

Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 07/31/14

A source of friction between my alcoholic loved one and myself has always been housekeeping. I usually feel so overwhelmed by all the things that need doing that I am not able to get organized. So when he drinks,
he rages about whatever needs dusting, scrubbing, or picking up. Recently we were cleaning up the kitchen after a big breakfast. Without thinking, I moved the containers on one refrigerator shelf and wiped up a spill. No big deal, but one part of the refrigerator was now clean. I thought, “Maybe that’s all there is to cleaning house. If I’d do one small task at a time, I’d get something accomplished.” Then the light went on inside my head. That’s what “One Day at a Time” is all about! When I take one day, one moment, one task at a time and really concentrate on it, a lot more gets done.

Today’s Reminder
When I catch myself feeling overwhelmed, or not being able to get anything done because there is so much to do that I don’t know where to start, I’ll stop for a moment and remind myself to take it one step, one task, one day at a time.

“Remembering that we can only live one day at a time removes the burdens of the past, keeps our attention on the present, and keeps us from fearing the future.”
This Is Al-Anon