Notices

Stronger than we realize

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stronger than we realize

I feel that as addicts, we often shortchange ourselves. I think that many of us have overcome extreme hardships and have been forced to deal with situations often unimaginable to a non-addict. Many addicts have lost their jobs, lost their families, their money, their career, gotten arrested, spent time in prison, and the list goes on and on. The constant, incessant pining for a drink is often unbearable. It can be excruciating, and we may cave in at times, but we often learn to be strong withstand these urges. We learn ways to cope, to adapt, to survive, because if we don't, we can't survive successfully.

I truly feel that which does not kill us will make us stronger. Addiction can be a huge obstacle, an obstacle that many people can't seem to overcome. Many people have died as a result of an addiction, and many people will die in the future as a result as well. But those who overcome addictions, those who wake up every day and know to be on guard, how to survive and adapt, how to be focused on living a life free of these restraints, I feel that person is a strong person. He has no choice but to be a strong person - that is, if he wants to survive. I feel that person is equipped to deal with hardships in the future, because overcoming an addiction, to me, is literally the most difficult thing a person can do.

Being a heavy drinker and alcoholic for the past 15 years may have weakened me physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. The weakening is temporary, as long as I can stay sober. I will recover, and when I do, I will be stronger than ever. Overcoming an obstacle as massive as an addiction can give us confidence, self-esteem, and hope for the future. For an active alcoholic, these things seem like a far off dream. I honestly feel that if we can overcome this addiction, we can overcome anything. The sky is the limit.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well said mate, I'm sure everyone here can relate, including me.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think many people have a lot to deal with in their lives, and recovering from addiction is one of the hardest things to manage.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for that reminder HockeyGuy. Sometimes the right post comes along and hits right at home. The one you need to read that day. This is one of those!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sure thing
Some of the most powerful and compassionate people that i have met in my life are recovering alcoholics.
I think that if we can stay well, we have an almost unique opportunity to help other sufferers.
G
Old 07-29-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice post!!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Truth.

I often see posts where people envy 'normal' drinkers. I understand that sentiment to a degree, but the people I envy are those who have overcome their addiction(s) for long term sobriety. Those people have truly accomplished something.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the way i see it is i am only sober for today not forever as its easy to try to give up for just one day
the years have flown by, and i have had to cope with huge pain in my sober years and not pick up that first drink, i have had great times being sober and horrible times being sober
but i am sober
you guys who are struggling to get a day sober do my drinking for me as you remind me of how hard it is to be in the state and how lucky i am these days to be free of it all

i have to live life sober, i have to change and learn how to cope in life, i have to swallow my pride and let other people help me that was the hardest things i could do was let anyone else help me
as i could do all this on my own but i couldnt and thats the truth for me i might stay sober for a while and think i am ok but i soon end up drinking again

i could stop but i couldnt stay stopped
today i can stay stopped for only for today the world might come to an end tomorrow or i might get run over by a bus ? who knows so i had better make the most of the time i have today and not think i will do things tomorrow as anything in life can change in a day : )
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well in all honesty, I wouldn't have chosen to have an alcohol problem. I'd rather not have this issue to deal with. But really... I don't have cancer or any thing like that. I have this behavioral disorder that I can manage by not drinking. I wonder how many cancer patients would change places with me in a moment? I do feel lucky that I addressed this before I lost everything. I certainly ache for those that still suffer.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy View Post
I feel that as addicts, we often shortchange ourselves. I think that many of us have overcome extreme hardships and have been forced to deal with situations often unimaginable to a non-addict. Many addicts have lost their jobs, lost their families, their money, their career, gotten arrested, spent time in prison, and the list goes on and on. The constant, incessant pining for a drink is often unbearable. It can be excruciating, and we may cave in at times, but we often learn to be strong withstand these urges. We learn ways to cope, to adapt, to survive, because if we don't, we can't survive successfully. I truly feel that which does not kill us will make us stronger. Addiction can be a huge obstacle, an obstacle that many people can't seem to overcome. Many people have died as a result of an addiction, and many people will die in the future as a result as well. But those who overcome addictions, those who wake up every day and know to be on guard, how to survive and adapt, how to be focused on living a life free of these restraints, I feel that person is a strong person. He has no choice but to be a strong person - that is, if he wants to survive. I feel that person is equipped to deal with hardships in the future, because overcoming an addiction, to me, is literally the most difficult thing a person can do. Being a heavy drinker and alcoholic for the past 15 years may have weakened me physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. The weakening is temporary, as long as I can stay sober. I will recover, and when I do, I will be stronger than ever. Overcoming an obstacle as massive as an addiction can give us confidence, self-esteem, and hope for the future. For an active alcoholic, these things seem like a far off dream. I honestly feel that if we can overcome this addiction, we can overcome anything. The sky is the limit.
Just what I needed to hear today! Thanks so much! For me, the battle began when I was a young child being raised by abusive mentally ill alcoholic people. I WILL over come this! If I survived my childhood, I can survive this war too!!!!! Thanks again for your post!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-29-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks so much HockeyGuy. It's hard to find an up side to this whole mess, but you are so right. I'm sure I wouldn't be the person I am today without my addiction, and I like what I have evolved into. I appreciate the upbeat post.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And we shall recover...moment by moment sometimes..and day by by.
Nice post Hockey : )
Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My friend and I had coffee this morning and this is what we were talking about. Must be a vibe in the air. Instead of seeing ourselves as victims, we see ourselves as survivors. I like that feeling. We know it takes continual (day by day, sometimes moment by moment) centering with our programs and tools, and we are well connected with our local tribe. I'd rather LIVE with this disease than die from it.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So how are you doing honey bee!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is embarrassing. I haven't cried for years, but I shed a few tears reading your post. You spoke so honestly. I was a year sober years ago, then I've been going between relapsing and sobriety ever since. I had a breakthrough last Saturday so dealing with a lot of stuff.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Hockey ... this is just what I needed to read tonight. Sometimes I don't give myself enough credit - and tonight I am because of what you shared.

Quitting drinking was the hardest thing I've ever done. Above all else - it required the most effort, tenacity and strength. I won. For today. And for the past 2 years. I will keep fighting until the day I die, because I am worth it

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, guys. Have a great night
Old 07-29-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great post. I agree with you. Ive overcome many hardships in my life, but quitting alcohol was the most dificult. If we can do that we can do anything.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by JaneLane View Post
This is embarrassing. I haven't cried for years, but I shed a few tears reading your post. You spoke so honestly. I was a year sober years ago, then I've been going between relapsing and sobriety ever since. I had a breakthrough last Saturday so dealing with a lot of stuff.
Love to hear about your breakthrough, only if you wanna share, though. Sending lots of hugs and a ton of support. Learning all the ins and outs of this insidious thing does take some time. You can do this!!!