Notices

The consummate prodigal son

Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The consummate prodigal son

The consummate prodigal son, you know who you are, the person that always fails and comes back and ask for forgiveness. Thats me, the prodigal son, the one that wants to be forgiven but can't forgive. I want the party of returning to sobriety, but don't want to commit to sobriety.

Sick right? I want all the best the world offers, but refuse to reciprocate the favor. Well isn't that a sight to see, the man that takes, but won't give. Well all alcohol did was take and never gave back. Who is my master, the alchol was, it owned me like I didn't matter. I was a slave to the alcohol.

I've freed myself, and now that I am sober, I want the celebration and the fanfare and the accolades. Well, let me tell you this, my needs and wants are so misplaced. The accolade I should receive should be from myself and its this, I am sober today, and that is all that matters.

Don't be the ungrateful prodigal son ( personal not to self), be the non-prodigal son that sit by and does nothing wrong. Enjoy sobriety knowing you don't need a party or any accolade. Don't be mistaken this is a stream of conscious meant for me, but I am making you privy to. Its not gift, its what I need to hear, and if you need to hear it too, here it is.

Every day is a gift, congratulations on your sobriety, but don't expect a party, do expect better living conditions, environment, and health, but if you think being sober should be rewarded by others, you and I are sadly mistaken, time to rethink my thinking and just get on. The reward is sobriety, not the party, forget being the consummate prodigal son at times, being sober is for me period.

Stay safe and sober friends, TDG from the school of random consciousness tonight, be well friends
Old 07-25-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well said! Alcohol takes and takes from us, it never gives. But in a cruel twist it tricks us into thinking it's giving us everything. Sad and sick!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice post!!
Old 07-25-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today, let me be an instrument of peace!
That where there is hatred,
I may bring love.
That where there is wrong,
I may bring the spirit of forgiveness.
That where there is discord,
I may bring harmony.
That where there is error,
I may bring truth.
That where there is doubt,
I may bring faith.
That where there is despair,
I may bring hope.
That where there are shadows,
I may bring light.
That where there is sadness,
I may bring joy.
Grant that I may seek rather to comfort,
than to be comforted.
To understand,
than to be understood.
To love,
than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was in a pity party mood yesterday. I needed this post. Thanks, delivery guy!!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post TDG, but I would add that though we shouldn't expect some great party from others when we get sober we are promised certain things from our recovery. I look at the disease of addiction just like any other disease and if a person with cancer goes into remission then there might just be some kind of party or celebration, but to expect that from others is really setting ourselves up for resentments just like you stated!

In AA though we are promised these things:

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them