Notices

New here

Old 07-13-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hey all,

Just found your sight. I'm in recovery as an Alanon person - what I mean by that is I grew up in a lot of alcoholism - married an alcoholic and my kids fell into it along with substance abuse. Both of my daughters went thru recovery and were walking with The Lord but my oldest - 33 - has been drinking for a couple years with her husband. My husband - her step father and I just found out a few months ago. I'm kind of devastated. I started back to Alanon in March and it's helping but I'm very conflicted in my faith.

I just finished reading Lois Remembers - the wife of Bill W co-founder of AA and realized that alcoholism is a disease. Is it? I always thought that the A could stop if they wanted to but reading this book and other information I guess I'm resigned to the fact that some people have an "allergy" to alcohol and can't ever drink.

I'm looking for help about this and also help for myself to recover from this family disease.

Thanks for listening!!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Al-anon is great for support, you'll also find loads of support here too on SR!!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Onlyhope - I'm glad you reached out for some help & support.

Many here are going through the same thing - you are no longer alone. If you'd like to visit our 'Friends & Family of Alcholics' Forum at some point it may be helpful too. You are wise to arm yourself with all the knowledge you can. I hope it eases your anxiety a bit to be among those who understand and care.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! AlAnon is a valuable resource for those whose loved ones have problems with drinking. I'm glad you're here too. Do check out the friends and family forum for more insight.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onlyhope77 View Post
Hey all,

Just found your sight. I'm in recovery as an Alanon person - what I mean by that is I grew up in a lot of alcoholism - married an alcoholic and my kids fell into it along with substance abuse. Both of my daughters went thru recovery and were walking with The Lord but my oldest - 33 - has been drinking for a couple years with her husband. My husband - her step father and I just found out a few months ago. I'm kind of devastated. I started back to Alanon in March and it's helping but I'm very conflicted in my faith.

I just finished reading Lois Remembers - the wife of Bill W co-founder of AA and realized that alcoholism is a disease. Is it? I always thought that the A could stop if they wanted to but reading this book and other information I guess I'm resigned to the fact that some people have an "allergy" to alcohol and can't ever drink.

I'm looking for help about this and also help for myself to recover from this family disease.

Thanks for listening!!
Thanks so much everyone! I will check out the family and alanon page. Once I find it!!��