Notices

I need help...

Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help...

Hello everyone,

I have been reading posts on this forum for the last few weeks, i never decided to make an account and share my story, but i feel that its the only thing left to do in order to beat my alcohol addiction.

I am 24 years old and i have been drinking heavily since the last 3 years, or at least it sounds heavy if i ever ask someone if they consider the amount i drink, as much... About 4 litres of alcohol. When i take a drink i just cant seem to stop until i feel so wasted that i can fall down on my bed.

I have been trying to kick this addiction many times now, most people my age that i know dont seem to have a problem with alcohol, they can just enjoy it 1 day in a week, i used to be like this, but slowly it changed for me...

What i am really hoping to get out of this is to show support to others on this forum that are working on overcoming their addiction, and also hopefully can find the strength to keep away from it myself.

So i do have a question for anybody who's reading this:
What is the best way to deal with cravings? I always find myself in the evenings feeling anxiety, its like i cant enjoy anything that i used to enjoy doing when i was younger, before i became addicted.

At such moments its like a wave of anxiety coming over me, a voice inside my head that tells me to drink so it will all go away, and obviously i used to do this alot, but mentally and physically i start to feel terrible and i also dont like the person i am when i'm drunk, i feel alot of guilt about my behaviour towards others afterwards, i just want to be free and enjoy life again...

It was rather tough for me to post this message, its weird to feel like its weak to ask for help, but i realize its not a weakness, its weak that i need alcohol to enjoy life and i dont want this any longer!

So everybody else stay strong and lets get through this together.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I used to walk my dogs when I had cravings to drink. It kept me sober and the dogs loved all the extra walks.

Search SR for "urge surfing" and "CarolD's tips for cravings" and you'll find lots of info.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 07-13-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, i will look into that!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're right, alcoholism is not a character defect. It's a disease and the shame and guilt we feel is what keeps us involved in the disease. You can get past this.

I found the best way to deal with cravings was to change daily routines. My hardest time was right after supper, early evening. So, I started walking, a lot and it helped in so many ways.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me the evenings were a big hurdle, I'd go to work, come home and drink the stresses of the day away, I found though that I couldn't just come home and simply sit without alcohol, that was a recipe for disaster, instead I needed to plan activities into my evenings, totally revolutionise my evenings.

Something simple I do upon arriving home, I immediately go out for a long walk with my ipod, I walk in the fresh air and clear my head out, you'll have to figure out what works for you.

You'll find loads of support here on SR also, it's great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just reading these 3 messages already helps alot, i have thought about taking a walk or doing something else instead of drinking but i never really pushed myself to do it, being afraid that the cravings wont ever go away anymore, but its something i will start doing right away
Old 07-13-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

ICCC

Ice Cream Cures Cravings

No joke, it really works. Try it.

Exercise, physical work, a shower, ANYTHING you didn't normally do when drinking. Come back here and yell HELP!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
“It was rather tough for me to post this message, its weird to feel like its weak to ask for help, but i realize its not a weakness, its weak that i need alcohol to enjoy life and i dont want this any longer!”

I found that honesty about our own drinking along with accepting that we can’t drink in safety is extremely important for long term recovery.
After clearing the cobwebs from my head I needed to explore the reasons I drank besides I liked the taste. What I found was that I was chasing the good feeling I got in the beginning of my drinking which progressed to escaping my feelings which included my fears, insecurity, anger and other issues people usually handle in a sane manner. Unfortunately these feelings were always there the next day and I continued to chase the escape.
When I got sick and tired of being sick and tired I joined AA to help straighten out my undisciplined lifestyle. Back then there was no internet and it was the most popular help organization for getting sober. Many years later it still works for me.

BE WELL
Old 07-13-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As far as craving go, I have found that I can kill them off best by replacing the sugar/carbs I got from alcohol with something to eat, so try that. When I got sober I opened the door to temptation with one exception, alcohol. So treat yourself to sobriety, so to speak. Instead of indulging in the drink, indulge in everything else.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have to agree with exercise, it's early days for me but I've started every day with a brisk walk and have purchased some exercise equipment for me to use around the house.

I also got a juicer and have 2 vegetable/fruit juices every day, I think this might have helped with the sugar cravings and have also started on a couple of protein shakes a day to keep my tummy full.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exercise
Shower
Empty the trash, we know it's full....
Read
Wipe down the bathroom counter already.
Think
Change the bed
Clean the whole house
Volunteer
Load the dishwasher with all that stuff in the sink that you didn't bend over and put in the dishwasher earlier.
Mow the lawn
Play on the computer
Read SR
Fix that thing that's been broke for 6 mos
Check the fire alarms
Change the filters on the A/C unit
Spray something on that shower to remove those unsightly mold farms
Shine your shoes
Clean out that junk drawer, the one you can't open because you have attempted the 10 lb. thing in a 5 lb drawer.
Make dinner
Pick up dog poo, clean litter boxes. Like yo!!!
Eat ice cream, no...eat frozen custard, twice the calories.

Take a nap!!!!

image.jpg

Do you need more ideas?
Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

''When I got sober I opened the door to temptation with one exception, alcohol. So treat yourself to sobriety, so to speak. Instead of indulging in the drink, indulge in everything else.''

A freaking love that one, thats a good mindset ill use that as well!

And yes i am sick and tired of being sick and tired as well, last night i was drunk again, got a massive hangover today but i start to feel more secure in making the step to sobrierty forever!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LetsEnjoyLife, I also hate the person I become when drunk. I used it to self-medicate when I was feeling down, bored, or lonely. Eventually, I was miserable all the time so I was drunk all the time too.

I am sober, but now suffering from depression and anxiety. But I know that a few drinks is just a temporary escape from unhappiness. I have a lot of friends, but I don't see them much because I am afraid of them seeing how far I have fallen. I will keep fighting regardless but sometimes I want to just run away to a distant place never to be seen again.