journaling, anyone?

Old 07-14-2004, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

journaling, anyone?

This might sound completely stupid, but recently, and for the first time, I heard that "journaling" -- keeping a daily journal of thought, experiences, ideas, etc. -- is not only a good tool for writers, but is actually an important therapeutic technique for the treatment of addiction (among other things). My guess is that almost everyone here knew about this long before I did.

In any case, this is something I'm extremely interested in, and I'd like to learn more about it (I've already started reading a couple of books about it). Has anyone here used a journal to help them work through the problems of recovery?

I'm also looking for software (Mac only) which will help me start a journal of my own. Recommendations welcome!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Journal writing is something I have always done...it truly does help. I like to write with pen in hand much more than typing it out..there is just a different emotional outcome for me.I write whatever comes to mind in one...don't worry about spelling, grammar..anything..just write. Other journals I write poetry to espress my feelings. Other ones I use as a cognitive behaviour 'training' identifying erroneous thought patterns and writing down solutions as to how to change the behaviour through thought and action.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable...go for it! There are no rules..that inhibits the flow of emotions and blocks creativity, just start writing is my suggestion. Others may know of software, I don't know about that...Got a million notebooks around my house! LOL...

Good luck!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stoic,

Like you, I entered recovery not knowing too much about journalling, but I was interested in it. I found though, that I always resisted writing things down though, as if I didn't want to see the thoughts in print. I was having a lot of trouble with guilt/shame even after a few years of sobriety. Paulie strongly suggested writing down my thoughts. It was hard to see the words on paper, it really was, but, an amazing thing happened. After I wrote down the feelings, they disappeared! At some point I will burn those pages and celebrate my freedom. Journalling is a great idea.

Love, Anna
Old 07-14-2004, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sam082602

Journaling Rocks!! Have Fun!!

Old 07-14-2004, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Though I could be better at it, it's one of the suggestions of my sponsor I do. Especially when getting to those 4th and 5th and 10th steps it's an immense help.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there, I'm an addict named JSDGIRL-I journal everyday-sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. I chose to keep my entries in a file on my laptop-that way I can take it with me where ever I go and my thoughts are always with me. I also find it theraputic when I can go back and look at things I have written and identify some of the insanity to it-good luck!
Old 07-14-2004, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I journal a lot.

I have one that I do in Word on my home computer. That works well for me. It's password protected and I can just write whatever I want with no worries that anyone else will ever read it.

I have a 'pen + paper' one that I keep at work that I use in a more informal manner.

Last, I have a xanga site that I journal on. Xanga lets you make public, protected, or private posts so it's easy to control accessability. Plus I can post to there from home or work so it's always handy if I need it. I am sure other journels are similar.

www.xanga.com

or

www.livejournal.com (I have not used this one.)

All in all, I think it's a good way to vent, purge, and share. Remember to write about the good moments as well as the bad.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I have journaled since I could write. I have problaby 10 footlocker trunks filled with journals. I wrote everything down my trunks are always the first thing I move. I have thought about turning them into books. I write stories,poems,random thoughts,lies & truths. I know it helped me cope and still does.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stoic
my journals are a huge part of my recovery. i find that just putting thoughts on paper can slow down the internal 'tapeloop'. and , with a few years of recovery behind me, i get to see the progress in my clean and sober life. I also get to see the recurring patterns in the areas of my life that i need to look at.
Finally, it just a great place to exercise unrestrained creativity.
And even tho i do lots of journaling on my mac- most of the best pages are good ol paper and notebook.
good luck
mackat
Old 07-23-2004, 08:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. With your encouragement, I started reading a few books about journaling, tried out some journaling software, and finally settled down with my word processor and began writing. After just a week, it's already been a big help, and the more I do I'm sure it will help still more. Somehow getting these things out on the page makes some of these problems go away, and others at least reduced in size.