Notices

Hello

Old 07-09-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi to all. I came across this site several weeks ago after searching online for addiction support groups and have been reading daily, sometimes more than once a day, ever since. The last time I drank was June 10th so tomorrow will be 30 days! This site has been a tremendous help for me.

I was a binge drinker from teens to my 30's slowly progressing to daily drinking with a few sober periods thrown in. In my early 40's I accepted that I had a serious problem and I tried AA a few times, but it didn't feel right. I became sober by reading Rational Recovery. That lasted 3 & 1/2 years until I decided I could be a social drinker. Within a short period of time I was back to full swing daily alcoholic drinking in the evening and on weekends and here we are 6 (long) years later. I have been unemployed for the last 6 months and started drinking in the morning, having a nap in the afternoon and then drinking again until passing out at 8 or 9 pm. I'm so sick of waking up with a feeling of dread not remembering what I said or did, feeling ashamed, feeling sick and hungover, etc.

My world has become really small due to isolating (all so I could drink alone - pathetic I know) and desperately need to get out in the world again. I know that my first priority is to find a job, any job at this point. I'm really glad that I found this site and thank each person who posts about their own journey, wherever they are in their recovery. It really helps!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tarak. I have a problem with thinking I can be a social drinker too. I just need to quit thinking about that and not f***ing drink. Glad you're here. I'm just giving this another go as well, so here's to the rest of our lives, right?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're on the right path now and you have the experience that you can't return to social drinking. Well done on the 30 days. Keep it going and now onto getting yourself out there! Good luck with the job!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days once again. I think you have learned (hopefully) a valuable lesson. You gotta stay stopped this time. I would make THAT my first priority. And you can look for a job at the same time.

Welcome to SR.

Your description of yourself before you quit again sounded eerily like me.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and support.

Yes LBrain, you're right sobriety is # 1. My 6 year "relapse" resulted in severe consequences for me with my career and relationships and I am worrying more about my health these days. I'm going to look into a Women's AA Meeting. It will get me out of the house and around other people. I might find it's a good fit this time around.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Tarak. You have found a great forum for support.
Congrats on the 30 days. Keep moving forward and never look back.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Tarak, congrats on 30 days! Glad you've joined us.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Tarak. Congrats on your 30 days and ..Welcome! I've been struggling with all this awhile too. I started as more of a binge drinker also...then yes...it progressed.
One of the big issues I identified resulting in my last relapse was isolating and lonelieness. I didn't think I would ever return to AA ever again( I had tried that before and I sobered last year via SR and counselling only). This time I need to add them... I need some new friends in this new life...ones I can do stuff with...have coffee with etc.

Bright blessings...glad you're here
Old 07-10-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tarak!!