Notices

Acoa

Old 07-06-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acoa

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. My first experience with ACOA tonight was very intense powerful, I had feelings of being overwhelmed and terrified as people shared. I stuck around after the meeting, as I always do regardless of whether it's AA or not, to talk with some of the old timers, who helped put me at ease. I'm working a solid program, and it's time to start digging deeper by utilizing AL-ANON and ACOA, but I will admit it does make me feel raw.

It's amazing when I go through the laundry list of acoa's that I'm all of them, and not alone. My biggest concern is that I went over this list with my 32 year old daughter and she has all the same traits. I suggested ACOA and AL-ANON for her (separate meetings, not mine of course) and pray she goes. I know through working the program that I cannot control what anyone else does, but as a father I do have my strong concerns (stopped short of saying "fear").

Thanks for listening, what experiences have others had with these programs?
Old 07-06-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rippstein

I have no experience with ACOA but I wanted to welcome you here to SR and to Newcomers forum

you're in a great place for support

D
Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! My only experience with ACOA so far has been reading the manual, or big red book I think it's called? I haven't been to a meeting yet. Was waiting until I had a year of sobriety before delving into that. The closest meeting is unfortunately an hour drive one way for me, so not sure I'll be making that drive. I read the big red book, the workbook that goes with it, and the new daily meditation book that came out. I'd really like to attend an actual meeting though. I've attended some online meetings.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome ripplenstrein, I don't know much ( Anything actually ) about ACOA either, but I welcome yippie as well...we all seek the same goal.