Notices

A Beautiful Summer Day...

Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Beautiful Summer Day...

This weekend I had a major trigger. A beautiful summer day spent up at my family’s cottage enjoying the beach and some time away from the city. My ritual for the past few summers was to get as drunk as I could there without incurring the wrath of the hangover. My partner stopped to buy a few beers for himself on the way and I was sooo tempted to go in and get my own supply but I didn’t, thankfully the SR app is only seconds away when I need it. There I was in the parking lot reading these threads and reminding myself that enjoying the beautiful summer weather is just another thing that I need to learn to do sober. I have gotten through lots of difficult emotions sober at this point but I am still learning how to have lots of fun without it, and believe me, I did! I had more fun there than I have had in years because instead of focusing on my buzz and how many drinks I have left, I was focusing on the experience of getting away and enjoying myself and the company of others. I felt really good and I was able to relax, loosen up, and even have a much needed heart to heart when I was there.

If you are new and struggling to enjoy a nice summer afternoon without alcohol I just wanted to let you know that it can be done in sobriety. Alcohol is always making promises that it can’t keep, when you are sober, you can do whatever the **** you want and have a blast doing it, you only get one life, don’t spend today saturating yourself in a poisonous substance. I am so grateful I didn’t!

Thanks for being here everyone.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done! In addition to having fun while sober, isn't it awesome that you will be able to remember the entire experience?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amazing, isn't it? Thanks for the post. I had a great weekend too, thanks to staying sober.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post!!