Notices

Lost weight?

Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost weight?

Did anyone else lose weight when they quit drinking? I generally don't weight myself (eating problems previously) but my GP insisted on it yesterday. I'm about a stone under where I thought I was and was thinking perhaps it's because I've not been consuming empty calories (wine) for the past few weeks.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Determined

I definitely lost weight once I quit. I was a big beer drinker, and the amount of daily calories was ridiculous
Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't lose weight at first because I gave myself permission to eat sugar, junk food, whatever I craved so long as I didn't drink. But now I've lost a fair bit. A big part is that sober I'm better able to stick with working out and weight training. At 45 I'm stronger than I was 25.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I've lost about 25 kg over the past 19 months of sobriety. But it wasn't like I stopped drinking and the weight magically fell off. Because I was sober, I was able to change my diet and have the energy to exercise.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also lost weight. 65 pounds so far but it has now slowed to a crawl but that is okay. I am fairly happy where I am now.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not an ounce. I'm eating better and exercising more but not an ounce has gone.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yup, a few lbs....definitely from not drinking empty wine calories, eating better ad having energy to exercise
Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yes. Lost 111 pounds! Of course that isn't solely from the removal of alcohol calories. It's been a year of eating right and exercising.

But without sobriety....there would be no exercising or taking proper care of my diet, so I still attribute it somewhat to no drinking:-)
Old 06-26-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I lost a few pounds, though nothing major as I began to eat more regularly throughout the day rather than skipping meals, like I did when I drank!!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I believe I've gained a little because I was hitting that dangerous place where drinking took precedence over eating. I didn't skip meals, I just delayed them and didn't eat enough or eat the right kinds of things. Since quitting, sometimes I want to eat everything in sight!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have not lost, stopped drinking....now consume ho-hos
But, I don't get a hangover
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I've GAINED, which I can't afford to do, since I have very few clothes that fit me any more, and I'm getting disgusted with the way I look. I know exactly why, though. As others have said, I've given myself permission to indulge in the food cravings in order to not indulge in the alcohol cravings, since I feel that is more important at this point. I have 38 days now, which is a big accomplishment for me. Next step is to work on improving the diet and getting back on my anti-depressants, since they probably will be more effective without the alcohol sabotaging them. at that point, hopefully I will achieve a more balanced life.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Yep I lost around 7 pounds since quitting around 7 months ago but then again I drank a lot of beer daily so I suppose it's to be expected, and I'm only 5 ft 7 and 130 pounds but that is around spot on for my age and build.
A lot of lost calories and the usual skipping of meals when drinking.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
Unfortunately I've GAINED, which I can't afford to do, since I have very few clothes that fit me any more, and I'm getting disgusted with the way I look. I know exactly why, though. As others have said, I've given myself permission to indulge in the food cravings in order to not indulge in the alcohol cravings, since I feel that is more important at this point. I have 38 days now, which is a big accomplishment for me. Next step is to work on improving the diet and getting back on my anti-depressants, since they probably will be more effective without the alcohol sabotaging them. at that point, hopefully I will achieve a more balanced life.

I don't want to downplay the weight gain but sobriety is probably more important in the short term. Being overweight it bad but I drank soooooo much for soooooo long that the junk food didn't worry me much. It was a "phase" and once I was stronger in my sobriety I adopted a healthier diet.

Hang in there! You're over a month, that's awesome!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
I have not lost, stopped drinking....now consume ho-hos
But, I don't get a hangover
Ho-hos are better! At least in the short term.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've gained I'm eating to avoid alcohol. I'm being kind to myself in these early days, taking it easy, getting plenty of rest and indulging myself with whatever I feel like eating.

My plan is to get through this weekend then focus on tidying up my diet after that
Old 06-27-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Frustratingly no, despite eating well and running. Seeing a doctor for it now.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I dropped 25+ kgs in 3-4 weeks (55lbs according to google). Most of that was probably stress and anxiety related (the ONLY good thing about stress and anxiety btw), but no doubt cutting out the empty calories contributed as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I first stopped drinking, I think hoping I would lose weight was really important to me.

Disappointingly, despite a very healthy diet, no sweets in the beginning....I only got rid of a few pounds.

I was REALLY disappointed. Like, as if I hadn't given up enough already, surely I deserved to lose weight for my big sacrifice?

Yeah....that's Mr AV bratty voice, right there...thinking we deserve a reward for every sacrifice we make in life.

Sobriety Lesson No.1 - Life happens in it's own good time!

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
Frustratingly no, despite eating well and running. Seeing a doctor for it now.
Almost a year after giving up drinking (couple of slips)....I've really not lost much weight at all - 14pounds I guess? BUT....I feel happier in myself as a person, more confident, am healthy and active and I look WELL.

Sure, there are days I wished I weighed less....but it's not the most important thing. Staying sober IS.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A 3500 calorie deficit is needed to loose a pound. That's about a week worth of drinking for me, and that's what I've noticed, a pound per week. Slow, but steady.