Notices

How the !@# am I hungover?!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How the !@# am I hungover?!

I've been sober since January. Three days ago I was at a lunch where the dessert contained some bourbon. I've been allowing myself to have stuff cooked with booze or food that contains a bit of booze for the past few months as it doesn't trigger anything nor does it seem to affect me in any kind of way.

But I've been hungover for two days now. What in the world is going on? I mean at most I had two teaspoonfuls. How is this even possible? I didn't feel even a little tipsy – I didn't feel anything different
Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm not sure how you could be hungover. Maybe there was more liquor than you thought?

Could the feeling of a hangover be a trigger? If so, maybe just don't have food with liquor.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sugar can do that too.

I hear people who are gluten intolerant can have a similar reaction.

We often don't notice these things till we sober up a bit.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have considered that it was a trigger thing – but the symptoms are 100% real: yesterday I could barely get out of bed.

As far as the sugar/gluten thing: I guess it's possible but I eat gluten every day.

Could this entire thing really just be in my head? This is the kind of hangover that I would have back in my drinking days if I'd had 3/4 of a fifth of whisky. The symptoms feel entirely real.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I doubt it's the dessert, being only 3 at Months, there could be more to it, I had dizzy spells that where hangover like a few months into Sobriety but they were simply late withdrawals (as my doctor put it) with blood pressure and sugar levels working themselves out!!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be a good idea to talk to your dr. I haven't experienced that, but I have been able to avoid alcohol in cooking. Hopefully you can find an answer.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some of the scientific articles I have read indicate that teetotalers CAN have adverse reactions to trace amounts of alcohol even years after becoming abstinent.
So it is rare but absolutely possible.
Good news is it is apparently a sign that the brain is healing the damage that occurs during alcohol abuse.
As others have suggested if it continues a Doctor visit might be in order.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting, Boudicca.

Not sure how it's feasible to avoid trace amounts – I guess it depends on the definition of trace. From what I understand most foods have naturally occurring alcohol in them, especially fruits and dairy.

Since I posted this I remembered how a few years back, during an earlier quit attempt, I would drink non-alcoholic beer (which I don't do anymore as I find it to be very counter-productive in terms of the kinds of thoughts I want to have). And one time, I could have sworn that I got tipsy.

This remains a riddle to me, whether it's the trace amounts or whether it's entirely illusory. Perhaps I will ask a doctor.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quadrant View Post
Interesting, Boudicca.

Not sure how it's feasible to avoid trace amounts – I guess it depends on the definition of trace. From what I understand most foods have naturally occurring alcohol in them, especially fruits and dairy.

Since I posted this I remembered how a few years back, during an earlier quit attempt, I would drink non-alcoholic beer (which I don't do anymore as I find it to be very counter-productive in terms of the kinds of thoughts I want to have). And one time, I could have sworn that I got tipsy.

This remains a riddle to me, whether it's the trace amounts or whether it's entirely illusory. Perhaps I will ask a doctor.
I will try to find the article, quadrant. I do remember the subject was post acute withdrawal syndrome. I think when they referred to trace amounts, it was specifically with regard to alcohol used in cooking. If I can dig it up and post the link here I will. The important thing to remember was the occurrence rate was something like less than 1% of subjects suffering PAWS.

Interesting about the NA beer!

At any rate, take care and feel better soon. B