Notices

Hi, I'm new here

Old 06-21-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new here

I am an Alchoholic

I'm going to make a long story shot. When I was 19 years old and I met a girl, we fell in love and got married. We then had a child, a year passed, anothoer child. I'm much older now and as anyone can see that's a lot of mature life changing decisions made young. Eventually my spouse and I faded away, growing up and maturing in our owns ways, slowly becomeing less and less like the people we first met. The girl and boy on the first date is now just a dream.

We split up, I took on a job, work 40 hours, live with my family, I get the kids every weekend and I've never been late on childsupport or anything like that. We are cordual to each other and are going good.

I am currently a full time student with a full time job.

The problem is that I am now 25 and have been an alchoholic for a over a decade. I love the drink so much but I'm very concerned with my health, I am overweight, doctor just called and told me by bloop pressure is high, and don't get a lot of exorsise but I don't smoke or use any other drugs.

I've been trying all these different crazy diets and non of them with when your drinking 10 beers a night. I also looked into the 'healthiest" beer

and it was about that time when I though, holy shift, I need help. I've realized now that alchohol is standing in the way of everything that I want to accomplish as a person, physically, mentally, I want to be about to run around with the children and play ball.

But it's just so hard. Everynight I go to the same gas station. They all know my name, we laugh and joke around and before I can get to the counter they've got it ready for me on the counter.

So yea, I've got to stop going there.

Other than that is just the amazing feeling I have when I drink. I am a larger guy and with my tolerance, I drink about 10 beers and am in bliss. And I really do have to stop but I love it so much.

I quit smoking a year and a half ago, cold turkey and it sucked but I can't even imagine how hard this going to be.

Any tips?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you joined us. Do you have any real life support? Friends or family members you can depend on? What about giving AA a try. Meetings are free and are just about everywhere.

I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

stick with us on here

hugs to you
Old 06-21-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum IWillKeepOn!!

I loved drinking too, the party was on my sofa alone every night after work, where I would demolish a bottle of Ireland's finest liquor, it was great, no boredom, no one to answer too, the buzz was fantastic . . . BUT I soon had the same realisation that alcohol was causing problems in life, health, work performance, living up to my potential in life.

So I had to make a change or things were going to spiral, it bascally came down to which I valued more in life, the good things about drinking or stopping the damage drinking was causing, I bet all in on becoming Sober and sorting out the things alcohol was affecting.

The first thing I would do is probably check in with your Dr, cold turkey might not be the safest for alcohol addiction, it can be dangerous so best doing it safely with advice from a Dr.

It's great to have you onboard, you'll find loads of support here!!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I think you will do fine. Stopping smoking is really hard. I smoke and have stopped drinking. Personally quitting smoking will be harder.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can only encourage you to keep reading this forum. It has helped me so much in these early days.
I too loved drinking.......until I didn't. You are only ten years in but trust me when I say that there will come a day when you won't love it anymore. You will need it, you will want it, but you most definitely won't love it.
Quit while you are young.....I wish I had.

Best of luck and keep trying. It sounds stupid, but you really have to WANT it.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the encouraging words. Its nice getting that when you really need it. I am financially stable.

What are the things that you've found that help you ?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome IWill - we are so glad you joined us. You're never alone with this.

I'm really happy you are able to be honest with yourself about your drinking. When I was young it would never have occurred to me to stop - I just kept trying to control the amounts I drank. Of course that never worked - and I had to almost lose my life in order to finally stop. I'd been drinking 30 years by then. I hope others will have suggestions. My quitting was something that had to be done or I was going to die. At that point the only thing that helped me was the memory of how horrible I allowed my life to become. Thankfully, you aren't there. Keep on posting - we're all in this together.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You will find lots of advice here from people with a lot of sober time. Spend some time reading the posts, it is time well spent.
Honestly, what really helped me and solidified my decision to get sober was research and reading. Reading about alcoholism and the permanent, physiological changes it makes to our brains and the absolute destruction it wreaks on our bodies.

Scared the crap out of me.

Educate yourself. Read about what it does to you.....you won't believe it, but it's true.

That is why I encourage you to stop now while you are young and your body can heal and regenerate much better than it will 20 years from now.
You will be healthier and happier for your son. That is a tremendous reason right there.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi IWillKeepOn

I loved drinking too...until I didn't. By the end it was torture to drink and torture not to drink.

You're very wise to look at stopping now.

Support really helps - and after a little sober time I reckon you might re-assess this love affair with alcohol

Welcome to SR

D