Notices

hanging in there

Old 06-15-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hanging in there

im 51 days sober I was feeling fine then all of sudden starting feelin like crap and having cravings that just wudnt go away how long before I start feeling consistently better ?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

It varies I think...I had ups and downs for 90 days or so...other people seem to struggle shorter, others for longer periods.

Anything unusual happening lately in your life Rockstar?

D
Old 06-15-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bit of stress at work now come to think of it seeing a person I used to drink with the other day and he upset me a bit laughed at my lifestyle change
Old 06-15-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well you'll find support here
This link may help too?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Someone laughing at your lifestyle change is a direct indication of jealousy and most likely they have an Alcohol issue of their own.

You should feel proud instead of upset. I walk around with a permanent smirk on m face.

Quitting drinking is a huge accomplishment and requires an iron will. Even some people calling themselves normal drinkers would have a hard time not drinking on the weekends or having their one glass of wine everyday.

Embrace your sobriety and never doubt your commitment to a better life.

My 25 cents

Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Not everyone understands the gravity of our situation. Some see it as an overreaction. They suspect that our acknowledgment of our alcoholism is just a melodramatic reaction to a perceived problem. Perhaps we have not helped ourselves in this by dramatic actions we have taken while drinking. Others may not like the personal reflection this causes for them. If we have come to acknowledge our alcoholism, what does this mean for our drinking buddies? Or they may come to think that we will become teetotalers who look down our noses at those filthy drinkers. Basically, our change in lifestyle will change our relationships with many people and some people don't like change of any sort.

What i have come to find is that no matter what others may think, i know the truth of my situation. I have one person i have to be accountable to and i am looking at her in the mirror in the morning and at night. I have to live the lifestyle that will let me continue to meet my own gaze in the mirror, hold it and be okay with who i see looking back. My change will create change around me and it's up to me to surround myself in an environment conducive to my recovery. I do not neither the time nor the space in my life for people who aren't conducive to my sober life. I must stay true to myself or i will drink and i will die.

Many will come around when they see the positive changes we have made. We become positive people to be around. We become agents of peace instead of agents of chaos. Some people prefer to be in the company of chaos and drama for whatever personal reasons. While i do enjoy a good trainwreck from time to time, i'd rather be an onlooker than a casualty of the trainwreck. That time of my life is in my past and i bid it good riddance.

Be the person you can respect. One of my favorite internet disses is "you're not acting like the person Mr. Rogers knew you could be." That actually stung pretty hard. Well, i feel like i'm acting like that person now and i know i'm a much better person, and neighbor, for it.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow 51 days is amazing, its hard i have never gone more then 12 days, im back on day 1 good luck u can do it!!!!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

DisplacedGRITS, I like your way of thinking. Don't recall reading your posts, I'll dig some out and feed my sobriety if you don't mind.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The problem is life will never be happy with no problems all the time, work will still have stressful moments, people will say things, bad things will still happen.

So we need to adjust to not turning to alcohol when it happens, we need new coping mechanisms to get us through, but that will take time to think through and create what works for each of us.

Great job on 51 Days!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

gee thanks everyone im so glad to find this site listening to all your advice and thoughts has got my thinking back on track today I feel great and love being sober you guys rock!!!