Notices

Withdrawal Concerns

Old 06-10-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal Concerns

Hello everyone, I am currently on day four with my recovery from drinking and smoking. However, my withdrawals are outrageous. I have crazy amounts of anxiety, I cant sleep and when I do I sweat like crazy. Also I have chest pain. This is what is scaring me the most! Has anyone ever experienced chest pain from withdrawal? I was completely fine until I quit so I kinda feel like that's what its from but my anxiety is getting the best of me and making me second guess it. Also, my appetite is completely gone. Is this normal?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Funny you say that, yes; I had chest pain for about two weeks. I am also a smoker. I didn't make the connection. Interesting......
Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome newlife

It wasn't uncommon for me to experience insomnia and sweating for a week or so.

My appetite was normal or enhanced, but I've heard the opposite too.

I have had chest pain from anxiety...but I really believe any kind of chest pain needs to be checked out.

Please do see your Dr about this.

D
Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi newlife

I've gone through this process trying to quit a few times and I've experienced all of those symptoms together. Not fun, and I feel for you!

Your body is screaming out for something it's grown accustomed to having regularly. Take that away and it starts to behave in strange ways. It would be a good idea, if you can, to drink lots of water, take vitamins, try to eat something nutritious, and consider seeing your doctor. Best of luck and I hope you feel better.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! withdrawals can be crazy in the beginning, but as already mentioned checking things out with a Dr is the safest thing to do!!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. Today was a little better. I didn't feel to much chest pain. I am now more confident that it was from withdrawals. I am still going strong, but know this will be a long journey. I know I can make it and with my family and you all's support it just a matter of time. Thanks again for the responses. It really helped.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. The support here is wonderful, as well as there being a wealth of good info here. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by newlife88 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Today was a little better. I didn't feel to much chest pain. I am now more confident that it was from withdrawals. I am still going strong, but know this will be a long journey. I know I can make it and with my family and you all's support it just a matter of time. Thanks again for the responses. It really helped.
You are well on your way, stay strong and stay close to SR if you need help.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, it does get better with time, quitting drinking and smoking at the same time must be tough.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just entered day 5 a few hours ago. (I quit drinking in the middle of the day)
Day 4 I had the most anxiety which can lead to chest pains and other sorts of terrible symptoms. That was my only day 4 symptom besides sleeping like crap and having nightmares. The shakes and sweats are gone for me now. I'm hoping that day 5 the anxiety goes away. Cheers and congrats on your day 4
Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid to go to the hospital. You may need vitamins via IV because alcohol does not allow you to absorb them otherwise. Withdrawal is torture. Let the doctors help. You will feel much more physically sound and mentally prepared if you do. Best of luck. Please be safe.