Notices

Lost day but no alcohol!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost day but no alcohol!

I have every Thursday - Saturday off and usually I would be drinking during the day on my days off, leading to what I'd call my "lost days". Then of course I would feel bad because I had 3 whole days to accomplish something and I stayed in bed most of the weekend. I always blamed these lost days on the alcohol. Well, thanks to the antabuse, I have 18 days of sobriety under my belt but today I still had a lost day. Didn't really do anything at all today except that I took the dog out, ate a bagel, and got some sleep medication (herbal). I came home at noon, took some, and fell asleep until 6:30 PM. Had to work tonight overnight because I got offered the overtime, so got up, took the dog to the dog park and now I'm at work until 8:30 AM. i guess my point is that I always blamed the lost days on the alcohol, but now that I'm sober I have to find something else to blame my inertia on. Gotta get a plan and get something done. I'm glad for the 18 days, but I still feel like I'm just existing, spinning my wheels. I thought I would have so much more energy and more will to do things without the alcohol.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Scintillady, 18 days under your belt is FANTASTIC, congratulations. You are possibly suffering from what I suffer from, expecting instant satisfaction from everything you do, an annoying side effect from using chemical substances, rootin for ya.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find I need down time. Recovery from alcoholism is a draining thing, both physically and emotionally. The first couple months I slept a lot, ate a lot, watched a few Netflix marathons, and didn't go gung ho on anything.

I've found life has a lot of beauty when it is appreciated at a slower pace. Quiet and peace are not what I was used to, but they are very welcome right now.

I still have a bathroom that needs cleaning, if you are intent on staying busy!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You still seemed to pack a fair amount into a 'lost day' Scintillady

I think a lot of us are all or nothing thinkers at heart - I really had to battle that - and still do.

Sometimes working like two men is not good for me and I have to remember that if I'm rested and serene I'm going to be better here, even if I may not get as much done.

Don't forget the work/rest balance...it's the only kind of moderation that works for me

D
Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I was intent on staying busy I could have moved about 25 boxes of junk from the front of the basement to the storage corral today, but have been putting it off for months now. I promised the landlord I'd do it this weekend, though, so I guess I'd better get going on it tomorrow. I also have a bathroom that needs cleaning, as usual!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scintillady View Post

now that I'm sober I have to find something else to blame my inertia on.

I had a lot of "lost Days" in early sobriety
never felt to bad about them
knowing that any day sober (even if nothing got done)
was better that the days I spent drinking

nothing wrong with a day off from everything
after being sober for a while -- I think we learn to enjoy ourselves and relax in these
serenity can be found often in very simple moments of time

MM
Old 06-05-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I slept for about the first 10 weeks .
It was a useful tool to fight cravings and also i was extremely tired as my body healed .

I tried to do at least one thing positive for myself each day .

Take care , m
Old 06-06-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope that I can get some stuff don today. I feel justified in sleeping for awhile today since I was at work overnight and had floor mopping and cleaning to do, as well as supervising 8 mentally ill adults, although luckily most of them were sleeping This is not always the case, in fact not even usually the case. In any case, I have a "date" with my daughter tomorrow morning for breakfast and a little organizing in the basement. I do better if I have someone with me, less overwhelming.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mountainmanbob View Post
knowing that any day sober (even if nothing got done)
was better that the days i spent drinking

mm
amen!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well done on 18 days.