Is obsessing over these message boards a codie thing?

Old 07-07-2004, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Is obsessing over these message boards a codie thing?

I have been a member of another members forum for divorced women and I seem to obsess over posting there. Is that all part of codie behavior?? Sometiems I can't seem to get any work done because I can't get off the message boards. What is up with that? It doesn't seem healthy to me for one reason or another. Any thoughts??
Old 07-07-2004, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Yep. I can get caught up in it. I have to back off at times. Finding balance in any aspect of my life can be a challenge. Even things I deem "good" can get out of whack. I find that when things are obsessing me, I am looking for a "fix" outside of myself. That is when my 12 step work is very useful. Hugs, Magic
Old 07-07-2004, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

or I find myself not being able to wait to read a response to my response. Like i NEED that positive feedback from someone. LIke I crave some kind of kudos from someone. I hate that feeling. I wish I could just be happy within myself and not need so many external affirmations.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I just started reading "The Purpose Driven Life" and many of those kinds of questions are getting answered as I read.
I can justify my every action in my own mind. Being here, being there, being over in the corner... A list of what is important and then doing the important things. Basic needs, and doing for others. All else can wait.
Our being human we want to hear...nice post, great job, good work.
That will be my treasure when I reach heaven I hope.... Well done kind and faithful servant.
Many times we are driven by our feelings...why do you do that? "because it feels good" What we should be striving for is...Why do you do that? "because it is the right thing to do"
Some times the right thing doesn't always give us a good feeling. Most times I find it does and I welcome as well as look for that feeling myself.
For me that is a area I need work on a little. A change of focus may have me doing the same things but the intent/reason for doing them should be....because it is the right thing to do.
What greater gift can we give others, then a gift of self as we try to help others.
Still laundry needs be done, need to get to work on time, need to tend to family if there is family, need food, need spiritual food, need self growth and then with that balance I do feel a need to help others as I can.

By the way... Great thread you started here *LOL*
I have been thinking on such things myself. It is good to see that others are running with the same thoughts.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like the rest of you,I get caught up in the posts on forum. I belong to other forums and I go in and out all day..when I'm not working. My A works nights and sleeps all day;so I have to keep quiet and busy doing "Quiet Housework" if there is such a thing.
Went to local bookstore to see if they had, "The Purpose Driven Life". They didn't. What some others have stated is very true..."fix" outside of myself....I find myself not being able to wait to read a response to my response....Our being human we want to hear...nice post, great job, good work. Anyway,I am hooked! Gives me something to look forward to..during my days at home. When I am working I don't think about it..as much.
Good thread.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Originally Posted by best
I just started reading "The Purpose Driven Life" and many of those kinds of questions are getting answered as I read.
I can justify my every action in my own mind. Being here, being there, being over in the corner... A list of what is important and then doing the important things. Basic needs, and doing for others. All else can wait.
Our being human we want to hear...nice post, great job, good work.
That will be my treasure when I reach heaven I hope.... Well done kind and faithful servant.
Many times we are driven by our feelings...why do you do that? "because it feels good" What we should be striving for is...Why do you do that? "because it is the right thing to do"
Some times the right thing doesn't always give us a good feeling. Most times I find it does and I welcome as well as look for that feeling myself.
For me that is a area I need work on a little. A change of focus may have me doing the same things but the intent/reason for doing them should be....because it is the right thing to do.
What greater gift can we give others, then a gift of self as we try to help others.
Still laundry needs be done, need to get to work on time, need to tend to family if there is family, need food, need spiritual food, need self growth and then with that balance I do feel a need to help others as I can.

By the way... Great thread you started here *LOL*
I have been thinking on such things myself. It is good to see that others are running with the same thoughts.
Thank you Best. There is a different "feel good" when we do the right thing. It's not an outside "feel good" or a temporary "feel good". It's the wholeness that we are seeking. There is a lot of temptation to take the easy way, but it never completes us. We are left with an empty longing and a need that we can't fill. It is hard to do the right thing, but the peace and serenity it brings is a reward that isn't temporary. People like you remind me of why it is so important not to take the easy way. Hugs, Magic
Old 07-08-2004, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Hmmmm...I guess my low self esteem makes me wonder if giving of ME is a gift to anyone. LOL see.......I need to do a lot of work. I just read things like what Best wrote and it all makes sense but I can't seem to understand how to carry it out. Something stops me. And I just obsess on that "fix".