Notices

The question “When is it going to get better?”

Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

The question “When is it going to get better?”

This question is asked a lot. If you’re referring to how you’re physically feeling then take into consideration how much time you spent abusing your body with alcohol. Have some patience. If you’re really not feeling well it’s always good to see the doctor.

If you’re referring to life in general try this out. Take a piece of paper and number it 1 through 5. Now, after each of those numbers write your definition of what “better” means to you. Even if you’re not a paper and pencil person do this in your mind. Consider all of those items. Of all 5, how many require zero action from you? Of those that require zero action from you, ask yourself who it is that you’re depending on for happiness. Of the ones that require action what are you currently doing to achieve that goal?

If your question is really “When am I going to stop wanting to drink?” the answer still lies within listing five definitions for what you perceive as a better life and then doing what needs to be done to achieve them. It all starts with you.

If someone bought you your dream car and handed you the keys are you going to sit in your dooryard with the keys in the ignition and stare at the car? How much enjoyment are you going to really get out of that?

Sobriety is a verb not a noun, now turn those keys and get driving!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This site has helped me with the withdrawal symptoms. I really thought I had some horrible illness for the first couple of weeks. Others on this site talked about the same symptoms which helped me stick with it. At 4 months. ..I can say it does get better.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the 'trick' also lies in perspective.

Every day - even on a glum day - waking up sober is BETTER than waking up shameful, remorseful, painful and ill with a hangover and a cloud of regret.

Every month - having hundreds of dollars to pay toward debt or responsibilities instead of a growing list of debt and failing responsibilities is BETTER than throwing those dollars away on booze.

While life still happens and life has challenges - being able to face up to those challenges and make choices to take action and work on life's issues, opportunities and goals is BETTER than numbing, ignoring and making things worse.

"Better" is relative.... we are always going to have ups and downs, challenges and triumphs, frustrations and elation..... and sometimes we'll feel like our choice of sobriety may be a challenge in itself... but really, that's just another illusion. Because if we look at it honestly - everything is BETTER sober.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me the first week was the hardest. Then came all the voices in my head. I can never drink again sounded like a death sentence. Now it is like, why would I ever want to drink again. It is worth the challenge. The sober life rocks.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

By the time I realized that things had gotten better for me, it had already been happening for some time. Getting better starts the moment we take action to heal. As is true with many medical conditions, the treatment will not always make us feel good in the beginning, but the long-term results overshadow the initial suffering which, for many people, is substantial.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bless you for this post. It is what I needed to hear today.