Notices

Things that are helping me stay sober...

Old 05-16-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things that are helping me stay sober...

I was going to post this to my almost non-existent blog and thought it might be of some use elsewhere to someone:

I'm finally beginning to figure out a few tricks and tips to help me stay sober. I've had probably all these things pointed out to me before, but I guess sometimes you just have to learn things yourself, and learn how to put them into practice. A few things that help are:

1. Stay busy. Sat around not doing anything, even if you're feeling really unmotivated really is bad news. Whatever you can find to keep yourself busy surely beats leaving your mind to its own devices and wander to that inevitable place - getting high or drunk.

2. Stay fed and watered! Hunger really does have an effect on your body and mind, and personally, is a big trigger for drinking. Your body will crave the calories and your brain will con you into thinking booze will provide them. Hunger also has the added effect of makjng you feel generally low and run down, making a little liquid 'pick-me-up' seem an attractive idea.

3. Exercise. Even if it's a short walk, getting some exercise (and fresh air) will give you a boost mentally and physically, lifting your mood and distracting you from cravings.

4. Give yourself a break! Don't stress over things you can't change, and don't ignore things you can and want to change. Your life really is in your hands.

5. Give yourself a fighting chance of success. Don't feel bad for 'letting people down' and not attending certain events and gatherings that involve alcohol. Getting sober is hard and you'll need to cut yourself some slack and put yourself first. Don't drink for other people. You have the right to say 'No', even when some people don't make it seem that way!

6. Live in the now! Don't spend time obsessing over the past or worrying about the future. If you do think about either, make positive but attainable plans and goals for the future and take the good from your past and leave the bad. Don't dwell.

7. Don't be ashamed of quitting. Be honest about it and stick to your guns -make sure people know you're serious, even if you've failed before. If they say 'we've heard all this before...', tell them that in that case, they should realize how hard it is for you to stop! If they don't support you, maybe they're not the best people to be around.

8. Find a hobby. This ties in with #1. If you're not drinking and drugging, you'll find yourself at a loose end. Take up something new to do with your spare time.

9. Find a non alcoholic drink you like. This might sound simple but if you have the urge to grab a drink, make sure there's something in place of the beer or scotch!

10. Take your recovery slowly! Don't get impatient that you don't have that much time sober, and don't look too far ahead - take it one second, one minute, one hour at a time. They all add up.

11. Be grateful for what you have. It's easy to take things/people for granted and forget about the good things you have, and get wrapped up in what you don't have or what you are missing. 'Want', envy, desire and self pity will creep into your mind and take root if you let them.

P.S. a good trick for making yourself feel a bit better for dropping out of meet ups with friends etc. is do something nice for them. Do them a favour, it will make them feel like you're not abandoning them or dodging them. Do good deeds and remind them you're just not drinking, not falling out with them.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome post!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post!!

ps LeTheVerte . . . this needs to go on your fridge!!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by james186 View Post
...P.S. a good trick for making yourself feel a bit better for dropping out of meet ups with friends etc. is do something nice for them. Do them a favour, it will make them feel like you're not abandoning them or dodging them. Do good deeds and remind them you're just not drinking, not falling out with them.
LOVE this entire post James...especially this last bit. Super helpful. Thanks.

PK - This is going on my fridge! Put on the kettle...its time to get C.R.A.Z.Y!!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

thank you james, I'm gonna keep this.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

James,

You're headed in the RIGHT DIRECTION!

Keep moving forward.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

James, you da man!

Love this post!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody. I hoped it might be of some use . I always feel like I'm rambling to myself lol.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks I just saw this thread, all great points! I need to print this a post it on my fridge!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fabulous thread James!!!! Thank you so much! A keeper, indeed!!!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this I needed it
Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I needed to hear those tonight
Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

Thank you James. This is a great post.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thanks for posting this!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

James it is wonderful that you have taken the time to write out some things that have helped you and in doing so have no doubt helped others, myself included.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks James - it great to have those tips in a list format!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Perfect! Wonderful! Thank you.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody, I'm really glad you're finding this post useful. I keep rereading it myself, sometimes the hardest advice to follow is your own!
Old 05-17-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great list! I'm getting back to the gym and have a TON more energy now after two weeks of sobriety. However I'm craving sugary candy like Skittles and Red Hots lol. And yep, I satisfy that craving too. Proud to say I don't want the drink. Thanks for posting!
Old 05-17-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

great list, thanks for posting