Courage To Change: 05/25/14

Old 05-25-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change: 05/25/14

An Al-Anon meeting is where I am most likely to get an honest answer to the question, “How are you?” This is refreshing to me, because for a long time my only possible answer to this question was, “I’m fine, how are
you?”—even when I wasn’t fine at all. Denial is a symptom of the effects of alcoholism. Just as alcoholics often deny their drinking problems, many
of us who have been affected by this disease deny our problems as well. Although we may have been living in chaos, worried about our families, full of self-doubt, and spiritually, emotionally, and physically depleted, many of us learned to pretend that everything was just fine. Today it is important for me to be in an environment in which honesty is practiced. I don’t necessarily launch into a detailed description of my woes or my joys—that isn’t always desirable or appropriate—but when asked
how I’m doing, I try to ask myself what the real answer is. This frees me from the habit of denial and gives me choices.

Today’s Reminder
How do I feel today? How am I doing? If I can answer those questions truthfully, I am more likely to pursue the help I need and to share the happy times with others as well.

“We can say what we mean only if we have the courage to be honest with ourselves and with others.”
The Dilemma of the Alcoholic Marriage
Old 05-25-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree -- "I'm great, I'm fine, I'm good" are my standard responses.
Thinking that no one is interested in my baggage, who has the time? And also....it's how I really want to feel
Working on this...
Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thinking that no one is interested in my baggage, who has the time? And also....it's how I really want to feel
Exactly! Good way to mess with people is to tell them what is going on when they ask "how are you"
It is more of a standard unthinking greeting than a genuine question. Most people don't give a rat's behind LOL
Old 05-25-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by kathyi View Post
I agree -- "I'm great, I'm fine, I'm good" are my standard responses.
Working on this...
Could make one sorry they asked, huh?

Hey welcome here, kathyi.

The baggage check-in is just about anywhere you like around here.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hahahaha exactly -- thank you both!