Notices

how to make it work!!!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question how to make it work!!!

How did you do it? How did you quit? AA, detox, other meds? I know everyone is different but I need some help quitting drinking and smoking. What do you do on weekends, have you lost your friends? I KNOW the benefits will come but how soon do you feel them. I guess when you are so used to instant gratification a majic remedy seems nice! What types of meds help ( will obviously talk to my Dr., just curious)
Old 05-17-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Must quit because alcohol destroy all respect, honor, health i hawe. Alcohol makes me weak and coward.

And simply thinking about those. Im not totally quit yet, i tryd dozen times. But next friday ill quit for ever. Ill drink oange juice wic i dont drink for years.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also what is the big book? Can you buy it or is it just at meetings? So new to this but need this!!
Old 05-17-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I kept things simple, told myself I don't need to drink today and for the next 15mins or hour I'm not going to drink, and then I did it, after that I went another hour, finally making it to bedtime at the end of my first day, days became weeks, weeks turned into months.

Quitting just takes action, just physically stop drinking alcohol, that's the goal, however support and accountability are important to get through those hours and days, SR has been a great resource for my journey, others attend AA meetings or other support groups. Also checking in with a Dr is wise to do it safely.

Filling the time with new activities is key. You need to revolutionise your lifestyle to one not facilitating the drinking of alcohol, weekends have so much going on that don't involve alcohol . . . coffee, cinema, movies, walking, the potential is amazing when there's no hangover to cure.

My last point is, anyone who doesn't respect your decision to be Sober or falls by the wayside as you only ever see them when drinking, you should question whether they were ever "friends" in the first place, drinking buddies are something completely different.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dont know what is it. Only holly book for me is kuran (with respect to bible and tevrat) but if its about quit alcohol it is good thing even worth to buy.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post
Also what is the big book? Can you buy it or is it just at meetings? So new to this but need this!!
Welcome!

The Big Book is the primary text of Alcoholics Anonymous. It's actual title is Alcoholics Anonymous, and you can buy it on Amazon. Copies are also typically available at AA meetings.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeap, you can buy the big book in plenty of places, google it and it should bring up loads of options to purchase online!!
Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Whatcouldbe!

I went to a week of detox, and followed up with AA meetings (ninety meetings in ninety days to start).

The "Big Book," or basic text of Alcoholics Anonymous, is available on-line, amd it can also usually be purchased at meetings.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to both. Whatcouldbe, you are asking a whole books worth of questions. For me it came down to a few realizations coming together.

1. I drank a lot more than most people
2. My drinking was causing problems in my life, and I wouldn't just moderate
3. I had to admit that I had a real problem that was not going to solve itself
4. The pain and fear drinking was causing in my life became greater than the pain and fear of quitting drinking.
5. Took specific steps to quit drinking and stay sober.

I tried AA for a little over a year the first time I quit. That was a great experience, it is where I actually learned about the condition of alcoholism and what I was up against. Unfortunately for me, I was not ready to quit, and went back out (in and out) for several more years until I actually became alcohol dependent, and thoroughly messed up, physically and emotionally. Anyway, I finally realize that for me drinking is not an option anymore, and however things go, I will face life head-on and sober.

I highly recommend AA as a first step, it has helped millions find sobriety. If you do, read some of the 12 step posts for tips on getting the most out of AA.

Best Wishes