Notices

Annoyed at people's indifference

Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Annoyed at people's indifference

I don't know, maybe this is just me being silly. But I am currently on day 3 of something that is HUGE in my life. One of the biggest things I have ever done, and I'm angry and annoyed that everyone in my life seems quite indifferent to it. Perhaps they think I'll relapse again like I've done several times now. But I have a sense of determination this time, that I did not have before.
I'm met with rolled eyes, attitude, nobody asking how i'm feeling. I have a thing on the fridge counting off my days of sobriety but I just feel like no one cares. Most of all, no one understands how hard this is.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by anewpage View Post
Most of all, no one understands how hard this is.
No, they don't. Expecting them to will be a never-ending source of disappointment to you.

It's also why communicating with other alcoholics can be so uplifting. We are not alone.

As for the rest of it - well...the only thing that will make it different this time is if it's different this time.

Git' R Done!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's exactly why places like SR are important. We really do understand and we do give you support

The important thing is you care

no, there probably won't be any parades for you, at least not for a while - but I've found people will respond positively to positive changes in us, given time

D
Old 05-08-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on 3 days! Congratulations on doing something huge for yourself. For yourself. Don't let what other people think affect your resolve, even if they roll their eyes. If anything let that motivate you if possible. It is the hardest during the first few weeks, so if no one around you understands, we all do here on the forum. Keep on keeping on for yourself. You're doing fine! Great avatar btw, love me some Page!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 3days of sobriety.Amazing achievement if you are an alcoholic.

Unfortunately other people who are not alcoholics get fed up with us,at least they did with me.

I only speak for myself,I had to be seen to be sober and change my behavior and attitude to life.

Keep going focus on your sobriety,not what others think of you.

I wish you well.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I got annoyed at this too. Best thing is to just accept it and focus on you. I found AA helpful because there were people who did understand. The rest of the world, not so much.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ANewPage, you will find a lot of people on hear that are familiar with your situation! Just do it for you, it will get better! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your three days. We understand!

My mother told me getting sober and working the AA program was like going to weight watchers. She does not understand and she never will.

I keep people close to me that do and share my struggles and triumphs with them.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on taking back your life. It just keeps getting better from here.

I don't often care what others are doing unless it affects me - but I'm working on that. God's not finished with me yet.

In the end, sobriety is for you. No one else will reap such huge benefits. Three days is huge!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People around me heard the words "I'm sorry" so often they became only words to them. The best way was to not need saying them by not drinking. So often actions speak louder than words. I also learned that I needed to get sober only for me and it was strongly suggested to be honest with myself about my drinking which is sometimes difficult.

BE WELL
Old 05-08-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Dee74
no, there probably won't be any parades for you, at least not for a while - but I've found people will respond positively to positive changes in us, given time
This is true, and I know that my opinion on this is not popular, but honestly the way I look at it is I began doing what I should have been doing all along. I don't get a medal for finally taking responsibility for my poor behavior. The dynamics of having a close relationship with an addicted individual, whether it be spouse, parent, child, partner, sibling, co-worker, friend, can be exhausting. I fully understood why no one believed me at first. The onus was on me, not anyone else.
You're right, anewpage, it's not easy at all...but it's a personal journey. Others who understand may walk beside you, but the truth is, it's you alone who walk your particular path.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The problem is with "normal" drinkers they maybe only drink a few times a week so going 2/3 days is normal for them, whereas for an alcoholic the next 3 hours could could be hit or miss.

That's were SR comes in!!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whether or not anyone understands your journey, keep to the path. In time they'll see you're sincere.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well done anewpage

Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

You're doing great. It will seem like people don't care now... but after it's been a while and they see the positive changes you made, they will notice.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stay here and surround yourself with people that understand. When I start talking cars and high performance to people outside of the circle its like I'm speaking Russian. Get it LOL?
Stay on the path for you. We are here to help.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Getting sober didn't click for me until it became something I just had to do for me, world be damned. No amount of praise or pleading could have stopped me so I don't really expect any of that now, though it is nice when someone notices. I do need encouragement and to vent with people who understand, which is why SR is so important to my recovery. As someone who understands what being at day 3 is like, I know the struggle you are going through, how hard it is, and I commend you for what you are doing. If you stay the course just for you, the rewards will be great.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your responses. I suppose I'm just indulging in a little self pity over here. I want to be congratulated, but of course the people who live with me have been here before and seen me go back to drink. So, trying to see it from their perspective is really helping. I wouldn't believe me, either.

But this time I'm going to prove them wrong.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you are doing it for you then there is nothing to prove.

When we get sober others may appreciate the difference in us but some do not. I can’t sit around waiting for their approval. What they think is none of my business. I have to concentrate on me. That does not give me a pass to be rude or ignore people but it does give me space to accept the fact that not everybody understands. There are people that have no clue yet still support me and there are some that think they have a clue and feel I am not doing enough.

It is my sobriety and I have to own it. It not for others to judge it or accept it. Only God and I can do that.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

hang in there Anewpage, before alcohol had me by the short hairs, I was one of those who judged, did not understand how truly difficult addiction is, smoking, drinking, meds, whatever your choice is. I would hear about different health issues due to thier vice, and my reply was always, so just stop, if you don't want to lose a lung, stop smoking, liver issues? just stop drinking, easy as that. yup easy as that. How wrong, how stupid and nieve I was. That is what I love about SR, everyone here understands, been there, done that. Its a good place.