Notices

Rising above my dark side:

Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rising above my dark side:

Approaching my mid 30s. Have been a frequent user of alcohol since 19 very seldomly going more than a week of sobriety during this time. Within the past couple years other drugs have been frequently added to this mix. I'm destroying myself as well as my family, relationships, career, etc. and don't know whether to cut back or sober completely. Addiction does run in my family and moderation attempts in the past haven't panned out, obviously. I know I have a problem and am owe it to myself, fiancé and family to change for good this time. Guess I'm trying my best to prepare for long road ahead.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Vizion

Addiction does run in my family and moderation attempts in the past haven't panned out, obviously.
I probably go for cutting out completely then
What have you got to lose?

D
Old 05-06-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am new to the forum and AA, but your question made me recall a line from the Big Book - "Half measures availed us nothing." I'm a classic toe-in-the-water type that has "tried" various approaches to stop drinking and more importantly, stop destructive behavior. Mine until now have been "half measures" with no tangible results. So, I am going all-in. My family and very life are at stake. I agree with Dee74 - cut it out completely. That will be a good start.

Best wishes,

JB
Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Vizion, welcome to sr, you will find lots of support and help here just ask, post and I found it helped me reading through all others experiences.

It felt and feels good I'm not alone in this, I'm not the only one who can't drink because of my addictive nature and don't know when to stop.

I found it helped not to think of the negative, a whole life without booze, impossible.

This one day at a time sounded crazy but it really works, the days turn into weeks then months and hey presto, your living a life free of booze, enjoying your relationship, family with out any booze -fueled regrets.

All the best Mags.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a similar discussion with a recovering alcoholic recently. We're both in our 30s. I told him I wasn't really convinced that I needed to cut it out completely, but how it affects my family and myself really hurts. He said that I'm an alcoholic and that when I'm ready, I'll know. And to go ahead and have more episodes of drinking, regret, guilt, hate, anger, etc. and to let him know when I was ready. Well, he was right. I had a few more episodes and I knew that it was time yesterday morning. I'm so happy to have finally realized that I have control. My wife is so happy. And the support here and one meeting I went to have been amazing. What else can I say.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!