Notices

Need to stop!!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to stop!!

Hi
Last night in a desperate bid to stop myself having a drink, I logged on the internet and came across this site, just reading the post was enough to help me between 6.30pm and 7.30pm I had a bath and read some more. I seemed ok, I had a great night sleep and feel more positive today.

I have tried several times over the last 3 years to control my drinking and the last few weeks have left me feeling tired and disgusted with myself. My in-laws party drawing closer this weekend has really made me feel anxious about my drinking. I don't want to drink but can't see how I will survive the night sober, should I just wait to get Saturday out of the way and address my issue next week? Why did I decide now to put all this pressure on myself.......I can't cope anymore
Old 05-07-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Missy....

Welcome! There will always be an upcoming "event" that your mind has trained you that it requires drinking to get through...holidays, parties etc.

I played that game for a few years..."after such and such, I am going to quit or cut down". It's a vicious cycle and the only way to break it is to just stop now.

You will find lots of support here from good people in various stages of recovery. I found reading posts here got me through some tough moments. There is also a lot here in terms of recovery programs resources.

I drank heavily for 6 years after the birth of my daughter, with each year getting progressively worse, so I urge you to quit now. I have been sober over a year now, and I assure you...life really is so much better!

Welcome again!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi missycol, welcome to SR
Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I'm glad this site helped you last night and good job on not drinking.
I tried for a long time to control my drinking, too. It always ended in failure.
I finally had what I'd call a moment of clarity and realized I was an out of control drunk.

There's no time like the present to quit. I don't think I have another drunk in me.
I used them all up and somehow came out alive.
If I were you, I'd try and stop now and worry about the in-laws when it comes along.
There's nothing wrong with saying 'No thanks' or 'No thanks I'm not drinking'.
You may be surprised how little people care you're not drinking.

Whatever you choose, best to you and please keep posting.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!
Originally Posted by missycol View Post
I don't want to drink but can't see how I will survive the night sober.
Obsessing over alcohol in this manner is a sign of dependence. Fear of not drinking is a hallmark of addiction.

Make a plan to stay sober. Work the plan.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You don't have to drink at the party, or anywhere, for that matter. Just say "no thanks, I don't drink" and leave it at that.